Hailsham fail to pick up anything against Penguin

Hailsham Men’s 1st XI 2 Penguin Men’s 1st XI 3

HAILSHAM took on Penguin this week on a pleasant afternoon at Hailsham Community College. Early pressure from the relentless work rate of Sam Rham, George Cyster and Lee Humber gave Hailsham some early chances and finally the ball found skipper Dan Ivemy in the D and his powerful reverse shot found the back of the net. Penguins started to find their place in the game building up the pressure and just before the half time whistle a fast break resulted in the ball being slammed home to make the score 1-1 on the half time whistle. The second half saw an end to end flowing game with great defensive play from Mark Lambert, Trist Pengilley and Andy Ball keeping Hailsham in the game, but Penguins continued to press and clawed their way in front. Hailsham responded well with a short corner routine slipped to skipper Dan Ivemy and another powerful shot to rattle the back boards. With the game looking like it would end in a draw, Penguins came back again with another fast break to steal the winning goal and the points. This was a disappointment for Hailsham but still a marked improvement on the 4-0 drubbing they received in the reverse fixture earlier in the season.

Southwick 3rd XI 1

Hailsham 2nd XI 2

HAILSHAM travelled to Southwick and made hard work of what should have been an easy game against bottom-of-the-table Southwick. It took 10 minutes before a shot towards goal by Mark Patton was tipped past Southwick goalkeeper by Martin Headey. A short while later Southwick struck the ball towards Hailsham goal but the attempted block by the Hailsham defence unfortunately deflected the ball over the goalkeeper and into the goal. The solid Southwick defence then soaked up everything that Hailsham could muster until 10 minutes from time when a ball crossed into the Southwick D by Steve Johnson was left, assumed going out of play, only to ricochet off a goal post to within reach of Mark Patton to score the winning goal for Hailsham.

Eastbourne Swifts 0

Hailsham Ladies 1st XI 7

SEVEN different scorers rounded off a fine afternoon of hockey for Hailsham. But it was not the walkover it sounds, Eastbourne having as they did some good penetrating attacks, but lacking the crucial and clinical finish they needed. Hailsham on the other hand have found their touch this year and took the chance to increase their goal tally just in case it becomes a deciding factor at the end of the season. Sarah Haird started the scoring after 15 minutes following on from her short corner injection to sweep the ball home, but shortly afterwards she was taken to hospital with a bad head injury having been hit from a powerful undercut clearance. After the 10 minute delay due to Haird being treated on the pitch, the goals then started to flow, with contributions from Sue Cable, Katie James – following a superb one-on-one with the keeper resulting in a great reverse stick finish – Kim Hindle, Toni Bray, Susie Smith and finally Alison Headey. It was a great performance from Hailsham with some flowing passing hockey and the occasional individual touches of brilliance; they had to work hard but the increased levels of fitness from hard training sessions is clearly paying dividends. With Hailsham now having won the last 10 games on the trot and Burgess Hill only managing a draw against Crowborough, Hailsham are eight points clear at the top of Division 1, but crucially Burgess Hill still have three games in hand. The plus 57 goal difference may well help at the end of the season.

Hailsham Ladies 2nd XI 7 Burgess Hill 3rd XI 5

AFTER a two-week break from league matches and an altered line-up, Hailsham started this match very shakily.

They scored quickly after the start but Burgess Hill fought back almost immediately to level. Burgess Hill seemed to always have an extra player on the attack that couldn’t be marked, leaving Hailsham with some tough defending decisions and Hill’s overload tactics resulted in two goals being scored in quick succession and Hailsham found themselves struggling and being 3-4 down at half time. Hailsham started the second half with renewed vigour and scored within two minutes of the restart to level the game. Hill then scored again but, with better teamwork and some great hockey skills, Hailsham started to relax and took the lead. With 10 minutes to go Hailsham were given a short corner which was brilliantly worked to give then a two-goal cushion. Burgess Hill had three successive short corners towards the end of the match but some excellent defending by Emma Dudley, Pam Winter and Karrie Agnew and some great saves from keeper Jen Headey meant that Hill were kept at bay.

A special mention to defender Karrie Agnew who took a nasty ball to the foot, left the pitch for 10 minutes and came back on to finish the match. A trip to A&E awaited her later, where she joined the 1st XI player Sarah Haird (see above). Amazingly it was found that Agnew had continued playing despite having a broken foot!