Hailsham ladies back to winning ways but men’s winning streak is ended

Susie Smith
Susie Smith

Hailsham Ladies 1s bounced back to winning with a hard-fought 2-0 victory away at Lewes on Saturday.

From the whistle, the visitors started with intent and took the game at pace to Lewes. The play was end-to-end with both teams attacking and defending well, but Hailsham broke the deadlock within 20 minutes, Michelle Page in midfield sent a beautiful pass across pitch to Sue Cable, who drove down the right wing, beat two defenders and fired at goal; the Lewes keeper made the save, but Cable pounced on the rebound and lifted the ball at an acute angle to give Hailsham the lead.

Sue Cable

Sue Cable

Hailsham kept up the pressure with great midfield play from Toni Bray, Toni Wheatley, Lyndsey Horne and Sarah Haird, resulting in another lovely ball through to Cable, who slipped to Susie Smith in the Lewes D. Smith then swept the ball past a stranded Lewes keeper to give Hailsham a 2-0 lead at half time.

Lewes came out on the attack from the break, and only staunch defending from Emma Allen, Alison Headey and Jackie Baxter kept Lewes at bay. Lewes won a number of penalty corners, but some superb keeping from Julie Abson, saving at chest height, and Midge James clearing well from the Hailsham D, meant Hailsham came away with a well-earned three points and another clean sheet. Next week sees the team face top-of-the-table Worthing.

Sussex Open League Division 1

South Saxons 1st XI 4

Hailsham 1st XI 3

Hailsham’s impressive run of wins was ended by 4-3 defeat at the hands of fellow promotion hopefuls South Saxons on Saturday. Both teams had a good start, with the ball being moved around well.

Alex Smith helped put Hailsham in front after a trademark blistering run past Saxon’s players saw him lay the ball off to Tristan Pengilley to deflect into goal. Saxons then levelled with a controlled shot at hip height which Hailsham keeper Will Parsons was powerless to stop.

With the game tempo still high, Hailsham were awarded a penalty corner which George Cyster drag-flicked to put Hailsham back in the lead, with Cyster’s shot later in the half slightly wide of goal deflected in by Pengilley to put Hailsham two goals clear at half-time. Saxons found themselves back in the game in the second half, with two finely executed drag-flick goals, the result of penalty corners awarded from heavily disputed umpire decisions. The nail in the coffin for Hailsham was the final goal three minutes from time, an off-target shot at head height in the Hailsham D not being spotted by umpires, with play continuing to allow Saxons to score the winner and seize top spot in Division 1.

Sussex Boys Development League

Hailsham Millers 3

Lewes Lions 1

The Millers overcame driving wind, rain and a 1-0 deficit on Saturday afternoon to mark up another victory, this time 3-1 against local rivals Lewes.

Lewes opened scoring on 25 minutes, but Hailsham quickly grappled themselves back into the game, a penalty corner seeing Ben Barden strike the ball past the very able Lewes keeper. Starting the second half level, Lewes seemed keen to restore their lead but, within five minutes, Myles Hook put Hailsham in front with a diving slap into the Lewes goal. Lewes mounted several strong attacks, but Hailsham held firm. After a series of penalty corners at each end, goal number three for Hailsham came as the result of a breakdown of a Lewes penalty corner, the ball moving quickly back up to the other end of the pitch for hook to net his second goal of the game.

Sussex Open League Division 3

Hailsham 2nd XI 1

Worthing 4th XI 1

Men’s 2 put in a mediocre performance to pick up a point as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Worthing 4s.

Missing their regular striker and midfielders, the team struggled to create opportunities but still, ten minutes in, Jim Cyster from the edge of the D struck the ball over the Worthing keeper to put the home team in the lead.

Whilst Hailsham struggled up front, the visitors had three quick and very mobile attackers who, after several raids into the Hailsham D, eventually got the ball across the goal line for the equaliser. The teams had opportunities to score in the second half but a combination of wide shots and excellent keeping at both ends saw the scores remain unchanged.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at facebook.com/pages/Sport-Sussex

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!