Hailsham Ladies fightback to claim victory at Burgess Hill

Sue Cable
Sue Cable

Hailsham Ladies retained second spot in Sussex Premier division after a 3-2 victory away to Burgess Hill.

For the second week in a row, the team were a goal down within the first minute of play, after which the game became a mid-field battle with neither team able to break through each other’s defence.

Another rousing half-time talk saw Hailsham begin the second half looking better. Susie Smith’s a reverse strike on goal was deflected by the Burgess keeper and pounced on by Gemma Rham who swept the ball into goal, scoring her first goal.

Hailsham soon went 2-1 ahead courtesy of a Smith strike, assisted in the attack by Sarah Haird.

After a number of penalty corners in Hailsham’s favour, a well-worked routine gave Michelle Page a strike on goal which was saved by the Burgess Hill keeper only for Sue Cable to strike home the rebound - her score her 205th goal for Hailsham.

Burgess Hill managed to claw back a goal from a penalty corner.

Sussex Men’s Division 1

Hailsham 1s 4

Brighton and Hove 3

Two goals for Lee Humber helped Hailsham to victory. Sam Headey found Alex Smith on the half-way who dribbled into the Brighton D before laying off to Tristan Pengilley to score the first goal.

Two subsequent penalty corners goals put the visitors in the lead but soon into second half Hailsham equalised again through George Cyster.

Brighton again took the lead, but a penalty corner strike by Lee Humber found its way across the goal line after bouncing off two defenders’ feet levelled the game.

The match winner came soon after from another penalty corner, with Cyster’s drag flick deflected away by Brighton keeper only to end up at the feet of Humber who rocketed the ball back into the Brighton goal.

Due to goal difference, the team drops to sixth in Sussex Division one, one of three teams on ten points.

Sussex Ladies Division Two Hailsham 2s 2, Lewes 4s 1

The Ladies picked up their first win of the season against Lewes 4s at home on Saturday.

An eager team set about putting pressure on the Lewes team and soon Julie Nightingale and Toni Wheatley linked up down the right of the pitch and got the ball into Georgia Dudley who opened the scoring.

Hailsham held on to their lead into half-time, despite Lewes’ best efforts, but eventually the visitors converted a penalty corner into the equalising goal in the second half. The game was won five minutes from full time, Wheatley and Nightingale again linking up with Wheatley this time striking the match-winning goal.

The team stays eighth in Sussex Division two.

For the latets sport: www.