Kennett’s smash and grab payday

Kennett celebrates his win
Kennett celebrates his win
Share this article

It’s was all about the money at Wimbledon Stadium on Sunday, as the domestic bangers had a £500 prize pot up for grabs in Round 15 of Spedeworth’s Banger League in the capital.

Hailsham’s Speedway star Ed Kennett, who started driving Bangers mid-way through last season at Arlington, was all smiles at the end of the night, as he walked away from his latest outing on four wheels with the cash in his back pocket.

With forty two cars on the grid, the first heat of the evening was a somewhat crowded and combative affair, with everybody keen to see the demise of an opponent, and obviously a challenger for the prize fund.

Arlington newcomer Craig Hook, led for four laps, but he was taken into the safety fence bringing a premature end to his night.

Kennett took over the lead on lap 13, but was overtaken on the final bend by Hampshire driver Reece Priestly. On review though, both were penalised a place elevating Steve Anscombe into first place.

Kennett was third, with Arlington stalwarts Rob Haines in fifth and Mark Pope in seventh.

Things went even worse for Kennett in the second heat. In third position, he got caught near the safety fence. He re-joined the race but had lost several places.

Slowly he fought his way back through the field, and managed to secure fifth place. Current Arlington track champion, Darren Terry, crossed the line in third to set up a battle royal in the final.

As a result of their success on the evening or because of their current status, all five of our Arlington contenders started at the back of the grid.

Poor Anscombe was spun out on the first lap, and when he re-joined proceedings, he was promptly dispatched into the fence. From there, he was on a mission to hit everything in sight.

An early retirement by Haines, left Terry in the lead after eight laps chased by Kennett. With five laps remaining, Terry got caught by a back marker, allowing Kennett to sneak through on the inside.

Sensibly, Kennett sped away from the carnage behind him, as others faltered. Over the remaining laps Kennett piled on the pressure, eventually winning by a clear half lap.

Pope finished in third place, with the unlucky Terry back in fifth at the final reckoning.

There was a consolation for Anscombe who was given the entertainer award, but ultimately it was Kennett’s night.