Lewes men beaten by strong Sevenoaks side

Tom Stratford
Tom Stratford
Share this article

Lewes were well beaten by a strong Sevenoaks side who moved up to second place in the league with this victory. This was Lewes’s first away defeat in the league. 

Lewes missing a further three players through injury knew in the early exchanges that it was going to be damage limitation. Sevenoaks who had beaten Premier League Hampstead and Westminster to reach the semi finals of the National Cup boasted ex National players who dominated possession in midfield and created numerous chances throughout the match. 

Sevenoaks took the lead midway through the half when, after a melee, a penalty flick was awarded which was then converted. Lewes struggled to get a foothold in the game and it was their outstanding goalkeeper Josh Pewter who made a succession of saves to keep the lead down to a single goal. Just before half time Lewes lost possession in their own half and Sevenoaks took advantage scoring from the top of the circle to make it 2-0. 

In the second half Lewes at least put the hosts under some pressure and Alex Warner’s aerial pass was controlled by Ole Callf who drove into the circle only to be frustrated by Giles Daykin who was quickly off his line to smother the shot. Halfway through Sevenoaks extended the lead after another penalty stoke was awarded following a bad tackle.

Lewes were under further pressure but Pewter continued to thwart the home side until the final minutes when, after he had made further saves, the ball was finally put into the goal to make it 4-0. 

A harsh lesson for Lewes but a fair result. Skipper Matt Needle was realistic after the game. He said: “We were further weakened by injuries and competed well but they were simply too strong for us. We will put this result behind us and hope that next week (Saturday 28th) with players returning to the side we can get back to winning ways against London Wayfarers.”

More Lewes hockey reports in Friday’s Sussex Express