Scoring goals continues to be a huge problem as Oxford take their chances

No Caption ABCDE SUS-141118-101905002
No Caption ABCDE SUS-141118-101905002

Men’s South Premier League

Division 1

Lewes 0

Oxford Hawks 2

It was frustration yet again for Lewes as they allowed a game that was well within their grasp to be taken from them by a couple of minutes of sloppy defending and an inability to put the ball in the back of the net.

The first ten minutes were played in the Lewes half but solid defence kept Oxford at bay and gradually Lewes gathered confidence and launched their own attacks. James Fuller and Jonny Rea used their speed on the wings to take the ball down to the Oxford line and whilst the ball was delivered into the Oxford circle nobody stepped forward to intercept and score.

The fact that in this period Lewes won four penalty corners showed that the effort was there but, even with the benefit of the penalty, they could not find a way into the Oxford goal. At the end of the half a yellow card deprived Lewes of the services of Tom Stratford as he was deemed to have raised his stick too high when taking an aerial ball and poor defending then allowed Oxford to score twice against the run of play.

The second half was more even in terms of possession but Lewes always looked dangerous with strong performances by skipper, Matt Needle, Mike Newman and Alex Baxter ensuring that Lewes kept control of the mid-field. It was not enough and, despite another two penalty corners, Lewes were unable to find the goal and reduce the deficit.

The next few games are crucial if Lewes are to survive in this league. They have played the top four sides and if they cannot take the points against less demanding opposition then relegation is something they will have to face. On Saturday they are away to London Wayfarers.

South Ladies 3B

Fareham ladies 1s 1

Lewes ladies 1s 5 (Fitzpatrick 2, Hilton, Malloy, Hall)

Lewes put in a steady performance during the first half of the game.

Nothing fancy, just steady hockey. The home side took advantage of this and, buoyed by their supporters, took the lead. At half time Lewes were 1-0 down and had to re-start the game on the back foot.

After a few unsuccessful short corners Lewes’ moment came when Kerry Fitzpatrick equalised.

Shortly followed by a penalty stroke - taken and converted by Sarah Hall. Further goals from Fitzpatrick, Anna Hilton and Laura Molloy saw Lewes leave Fareham with five goals and 3 well earned points.

Sussex Ladies Division 1

Worthing ladies 2’s 1

Lewes Ladies 3’s 3 (Storey, Blackwell)

A youthful Lewes side dominated the first half as they looked to record consecutive victories but could not convert their chances. They started to force the play and the last 10 minutes were scrappy.

Following a regroup at half time and asking for some composure in the D, the breakthrough finally came with a neatly worked goal down the right, finished superbly by Sue Storey. The second came from a short corner that broke down but was skillfully converted with a clinical strike from the top of the circle. Then Naomi Blackwell scored her first ever goal for Lewes with a tap in at the far post after good work down the right hand channel. Lewes conceded a scrappy goal late on but by then the match was won and three points secured.