Spirited win keeps Lewes in the title hunt going into New Year

Clark Roberts
Clark Roberts

Men’s South Premier Division 1

Lewes 1s 5 (Clark 2, Goldstein, Algern, Fox)

Sutton Valence 1s 3

This was another spirited performance by Lewes and the win – along with two of the other promotion-chasing teams losing – puts them in touch for a second half of season chase for the title.

The first half was fairly even but marred by some very poor umpiring which prevented the game from flowing.

Lewes finally broke the deadlock when a good penalty corner routine ended with skipper Matt Clark putting the ball into the net.

The second half was full of incident and despite having coach Mo Rahman off the pitch with a yellow card, Lewes put together a series of attacks. A free hit on the edge of the D ended with a shot on goal rebounding off a goalpost back into play. There was some confusion amongst the defence and Gaston Goldstein took full advantage by pushing the ball over the goal line.

Sutton Valence responded immediately and scored with a well-taken shot – and they attacked again after the restart to earn a penalty corner from which they equalised.

Lewes went back into attacking mode and a goalmouth scramble gave Paddy Algern the opportunity to slip the ball into the goal. The hosts were reduced to nine men when Jack Fox and Rahman were yellow carded but the defence held out with some superb goalkeeping from Rory Jervis.

Fox celebrated his return to the pitch when a Lewes attack ended with him crashing the ball into the back netting.

Sutton Valence pulled one goal back when a breakaway resulted in a penalty corner but Lewes were in the ascendancy and Clark completed the scoring with a goal from the rebound off a penalty corner strike.

Lewes are at home again tomorrow with the last game of this half of the season, against Old Georgians, start 1.30pm.

2s lack cutting edge at Blackheath

Kent Sussex Div 2

Blackheath 1s 2

Lewes 2s 1 (Green)

Despite a strong team performance, Lewes Men’s 2nd XI left East London pointless on Saturday.

An impressive first 20 minutes had seen the men in green take a deserved 1-0 lead, when Andy Green converted a penalty corner – but five minutes later the scores were level after a calamitous mistake in the away team’s defence.

After the break Blackheath continued to probe, forcing some excellent saves from Lewes keeper Josh Pewter.

However, while the hosts converted a penalty corner with 15 minutes to go, Lewes could not find a reply, despite two corners of their own in overtime. The 2s finish their pre-Christmas campaign tomorrow away to Canterbury.

3s fight hard for well deserved point

Sussex Open Division 1

Lewes 3’s 2 (Minter, Stillman)

Worthing 2’s 2

Being a goal down twice in this match against rock-bottom Worthing should have been a dispiriting experience – but the Lewes team rolled their collective sleeves up and picked up a point from their penultimate match before Christmas.

A goal at the start of each half ensured Lewes needed to work hard in defence and attack the opposition with intensity. Like the previous week, the performance deserved a win, with the central defence of Chris Heasman and George Garton outstanding before the latter left the field due to injury. Up front the attacking threat came from Rob Minter but all contributed 100 per cent to the cause.