Travelling supporters not disappointed as Seaford win in National Vase

May and Baker 1st XV (20) ' (32) Seaford RFC 1st XV - EDF National Vase 5th round quarter final Sam Diplock in the line out
May and Baker 1st XV (20) ' (32) Seaford RFC 1st XV - EDF National Vase 5th round quarter final Sam Diplock in the line out

On Saturday Seaford travelled the long journey up to Dagenham for the quarter final of the EDF national vase against an undefeated and top of their league May and Baker.

With self belief high and real depth and talent now established in the squad, the 30+ supporters who also travelled up were expecting a great match and they were not disappointed.

The Home side took an early lead when their very talented fullback danced his way through the Seaford defence for a converted try. With the strong wind behind them the home side made full use with 2 penalties kicked in quick succession.

Seaford had a big hill to climb with over an hour to play but the passion and quality was soon shown when Captain Daniel Newby scored from the back of a driving maul making it 13-5 on the half hour.

5 minutes later and a good serge from Seaford saw them 5 yards out when the captain was on hand again to power his way into the goal area. Seaford was now well back in the game with Half time only a few minutes away. Just before the break Flyhalf Ben Cox split the uprights with a well executed penalty to send Seaford in level at half time at 13 apiece.

In the second half Seaford were quickly back on the score sheet when Centre and man of the match Simon Hordell crashed through the defence and over the line for another converted try but May and Baker replied with their own converted try to once again level the score at 20 all.

Seaford now turn the screw and the physicality raise a level, bodies were put on the line and the pressure eventually paid off when Ben Cox went over to add 5 points and then a further 2 with the conversion to put Seaford back in the lead.

With the home side coming within 5 yards on several occasions only to be kept out by some fantastic defensive work it was clear that this match was still not won. 5 minutes remained and the constant pressure on the Seaford line was halted when Dan Newby broke and ran 40 yards up the pitch, on his shoulder was man mountain Andrew Flynn who then passed to wing man Mark Tait , Tait got within 2 yards from the line when he was tackled and knocked the ball on, a chance to seal the game went begging. May and Baker were awarded scrum but were slowed down and a maul was formed, with the scarlet monster Newby tying the ball up Seaford just had to hold on to gain the advantage but out of nowhere speedster Darren Flynn ripped the ball out the centre of the maul and ran in a final 5 points to seal victory and a place in the semi finals for a well deserving Seaford side.

The team want to thank the supporters for their dedication and time on the day and hope to see them all again for the next cup match on 22nd Feb, the opposition will be found out after the draw has taken place.

Cup squad; J.Wilson, K.Lewis, M.Read, S.Diplock, A.Flynn, M.Upton, S.Webb, D.Newby (C), P.Hardwick, M.Tait, B.Cox, S.Hordell (MOM), D.Flynn, L.Taylor, C.Burns, S.Dann, M.Cox, T.Peissel, S.Baker, S.Voice, D.Joy.