Uckfield hit by leaders but seconds shine

Uckfield v Park House. Picture by Ron Hill
Uckfield v Park House. Picture by Ron Hill

Horsham 47, Uckfield 15

Horsham’s early pressure told and they took the lead with an early try.

The away side’s scrummage struggled to contain the Horsham pack early on and conceded a couple of penalties, which eventually resulted in a second try, 14-0 and things were looking gloomy.

Uckfield’s resilience began to show and from a great move Lee Evans sliced through some midfield traffic to score a trademark try for 14-5. A classy backs move from Horsham resulted in a very good try. URFC’s forwards came storming back and after some great mauling and rucking, Liam Olive went over on the stroke of half time, 21-10.

After relentless pressure Horsham scored another deserved try for 26-10 beforeLuke Austin left the field with a severe knee injury.

However from the resulting solid scrum Greg Chappell went over in the corner 26-15, conversion missed.

Some more flowing rugby followed from Horsham resulting a good try, 31-15, converted 33-15. URFC stalwart back row Alex Harle then left the field with a calf strain and this, along with Austin’s earlier departure, affected the balance of the side. There was some ebb and flow to the play, but in the last 10 minutes, Uckfield tired and the absences told as Horsham ran in 2 more tries and the game finished 47-15.

This was a spirited performance from URFC against a good Horsham side, played in a good spirit.

Next week’s last game before Christmas is a local Derby at home to Heathfield and Waldron. This will be a good battle. All welcome to Hempstead fields KO: 2.15pm

League leaders Uckfield seconds beat St Leonards Cinque Ports 31-8 at home in a game that was transferred to Hempstead Fields as Cinque Ports was unplayable.

This was a really tight game at the start, and it took till the 21st minute until veteran Mark Cullingford could open the scoring, assisted by the ever youthful Phil Douse, who also converted. 7-0.

This was followed by an inconclusive period, broken just before half time with a try made by Finn Wilding for the promising Zac Mellett.

Douse converted again half time 14-0.

Douse converted an early penalty at the start of the second half, 17-0 and some daylight appearing. However first a penalty and then a simple try were conceded and the loyal URFC support just starting to worry at 17-8.

However Adam Cornford then put Tyler Smith in for a try, again converted by Douse, 24-8, and the game was finished off by another try for Zac Mellet, assisted by Jordan Thompson, yet again converted by Douse. 31-8 against the club third in their league a good result for Uckfield, 10 wins from 11 and 1 point clear at the top at the half way point of the season.