Wormull admits to day of frustration after Rooks’ failure to convert first half chances

Simon Wormull admitted to feeling a ‘day of frustration’ after Lewes and Harrow played out an eventful 1-1 draw at the Dripping Pan on Saturday.

Visitors Harrow took the lead four minutes into the second half through Simeon Akinola, before the Rooks levelled almost immediately, in bizarre circumstances through Anthony Thomas.

The home fans among the 479-strong crowd will have hoped for all three points when the visitors were reduced to 10 men late on, but, despite the man disadvantage, it was Harrow who actually finished the stronger, and neither side could add to their tally.

But it was Lewes chances spurned in the first half that most upset boss Wormull.

Speaking with Stuart Fuller after the game, he said: “It’s one of those days of frustration because I think if we’d taken our chances (we would have won). We created a lot, which is what we asked for before the game, and didn’t take advantage of it.”

Having said that, Wormull also admitted that both sides had chances with Borough missing three glaring opportunities, two of which fell to former Rook Danny Buckle. The goals when they came were a comedy of errors.

First, on 49 minutes, Keiron Thorp received a short backpass from Lewis Hamilton but as he attempted his clearance he was tackled by Akinola and a favourable bounce saw the striker slot into an open goal.

Just a minute later, Thomas’s innocuous long ball into the Harrow area caught keeper Elvijs Putnins off his line, and as he backpeddled for what shoulf have been a comfortable collection, he slipped and could only look on in horror as the ball bounced into an empty net.

James Burgess then picked up a second booking with 11 minutes left and Boro boss Dave Anderson joined him early in the away dressing room for comments made to the referee.

ROOKS: Thorp, Brinkhurst, Hamilton, Walder, Robinson, Breach, Stubbings, Schaaf, Godfrey, Beckford, Thomas. Subs: Dunne, Howell, Leach, Kay, Wormull.