Opening weekend defeats for both Lewes sides as season takes off

editorial image

Lewes Priory opened their season with crushing 233-run defeat to Seaford in East Sussex Division One at the Salts.

The Salts club batted first declaring on 280-3 after 40 overs, with opener Chris Stanyard and Thomas Date leading the way with 131 and 120 respectively.

The Priory innings was short lived as the visitors were bowled out for 47 inside 19 overs. Seaford’s Stuart Pulford taking 5-14 and Tim Goddard 4-30.

Ringmer defeated nearby rivals Lewes St Michaels after chasing down the home side’s score of 93.

Lewes were sent in to bat first after losing the toss and got off to a good start with Guy Patton (27)and Edward Salkield (33) impressing with the bat.

But when the two men lost their wickets the rest of the order fell by the wayside. Ringmer’s Murray Barnett taking 4-20.

The visitors chased the score down with five wickets in hand and opener Andy Smith top scored with 28.

Hailsham hosted Barcombe in their opening match of the Division Two season with the hosts claiming a seven-wicket victory.

The home side won the toss and sent Barcombe into bat with the visitors all out with Joshua Wheatley (64) and Allan Trower (30) top scoring. Varrun Khullar was the pick of the bowlers taking figures of 4-38.

Khullar stole the show with the bat as well as the ball scoring 104, leading his side to victory with 20 over and seven wickets to spare.

Newhaven hosted Laughton with match ending as a draw with the visitors a run away from victory.

Newhaven won the toss and elected to bat first, being bowled out for 141 in 44 overs, with Nick Young top scoring (38) and Adrian Breeds taking figures of 3-11.

Laughton started their run chase well with captain and opener Jamie Russell scoring a half century and Sam Wright scoring 42. But when the top order fell the rest of the order failed to back them up and falling a run short.

Newhaven’s Matthew Drury starred with the ball taking home figures of 6-22.

Firle hosted Chiddlingly last weekend with the host winning the toss electing to field first. Something they would later regret, as the visitors declared on 224-3 with 10 overs left. An in form Crocombe hit Firle all over the ground. Firle’s run chase never really got started with no player posting a dangerous innings. Ahmad Sarwary top scored with 17.

Bayan Fenwick and Ed Monnington took four a piece with the ball.

Hellingly started their season away to Slinfold for the second consecutive season. with the club suffering back-to-back opening day defeats.

Slinsfold won the toss and fielded first, dismissing Hellingly for 92 inside 34 overs. Will Hutchings (28) providing the only form of resistance. Harrison Webb (4-13) causing the visitors all sorts of problems.

The hosts reached their target in 22 overs Akeem Jordan (40*) top scoring, Hellinglys only other shining light was Daniel Pellet (3-22), who impressed with the ball.

Herstmonceux hosted Hailsham’s second team in Division Four action last week with both sides playing out a draw.

Hailsham won the toss and elected to bat first. Scott Pierce (79) top scored with support late on from Ollie McDonald (25) as the visitors were bowled out for 157. Herstmonceux bowler Rory Collins taking figures of 5-33.

The Herstmonceux batsmen struggled to build an innings of any significance before John Stevens (35*) top scored at number seven. But the home side fell short of the target set by Hailsham, who failed to bowl the hosts out, leaving the match a stalemate.

Eight-men Dicker hosted Ditchling last Saturday with the home side posting a a score of 216 but failed to bowl the visitors out, with the match ending as a draw.

The hosts, short for numbers, won the toss and batted first with Daniel Hitchen (108*) in fine form and supported by Dave Beddoe (56) as they set a target of 216 with six wickets in hand.

Dicker’s bowlers failed to remove Hailsham’s batmen as the match ended as a draw. Johney Coburn (59) and Jim Nolan (27) providing the resistance as the visitors held on with a wicket remaining.

Crowborough hosted Lewes St Michaels second team at the Wolfe Recreational Ground in Division Five action, with the visitors cruising to a eight-wicket victory.

The hosts lost the toss and were sent into bat first, all being removed for 133. Opener Ian Easton (69) the only shinning light for the hosts, as Steve Oliver (6-27) ripped through the batting order.

Lewes seconds reached their target of 133 with eight wickets and 13 overs to spare. Opener Ian Welch (48*) leading the charge from the off.

Bells Yew Green second team played out a draw when they travelled to Forest Row last weekend.

Seaford seconds suffered defeat away to Eastbourne. The seconds won the toss and elected to bat first, declaring on 212-3 after opener Ben Brown (115) and Patrick McCaughan (58*) had impressed with the bat.

Eastbourne thirds, with all their batsmen chipping in with runs, reached their target with four overs to spare. The pick of the batters for the thirds were Mark Trubshaw (41), Harrison Tagg (45) and Matt Rodin (54).

Bells won the toss and fielded first, with the home side declaring on 228-8 with seven balls left. Number four Neil Divall (37) and tailender Kuganesh Karuppiah (54*) topping scoring for Forest Row. Bells bowler John Elms (3-75) impressing with ball in hand.

The hosts failed to meet their target, ending on 158-9, with Joe de Souza (3-35) and Matthew Roberts (3-40) making sure the visitors held on for the draw.

In East Sussex Division Seven opening weekend action Alfriston suffered defeat away to Laughton seconds as Selsmeston & Alciston defeated Little Common Ramblers seconds away.

Selsmeston won their match by 75 runs after batting first and posting 186 and bowling the hosts out for 111. Richard Ellinor stole the show with ball and bat scoring 84 run and taking 6-13.