'Poor' display as Rooks go out of Trophy

Rooks's manager Steve King is hoping to bring in a 'striker you will know' for tomorrow's Conference South visit from Hayes.

King was due to meet him at last night's reserve game at Worthing and said he was 99.9 per cent certain the deal would be done.

'He's a decent player with bags of pace,' said King. 'I'm also bringing in a full back, Mark Wright, on work experience. He's been at Tottenham for most of his life and is now at Southend. He'll be in the squad for the Hayes game.'

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

King is currently being forced by financial restraints to juggle with the finances so expect several squad players to go out on loan in the coming weeks.

The Lewes boss pulled no punches about Tuesday's FA Trophy third qualifying round defeat at Dorchester, played in difficult conditions with part of one goalmouth frozen.

'Our performance was not good,' King said. 'We didn't deserve anything. It was one of our poorest displays since I've been here, not far off the one against Histon.'

Goalkeeper Paul Wilkerson in particular found it difficult to stand up on the icy pitch and twice early in the second half he slipped when taking a goalkick. Referee Martin Cassidy booked him for what he considered theatrics, and Paul Kennett and Max Hustwick were also yellow-carded for protesting. And later in the game he sent King from the dugout for his touchline comments.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

'I must say the referee was unbelievable, he spoilt the game and gave two ridiculous penalties,' said King.

'Theirs came after the ball had been smashed against Kennett and the ref gave handball, how could he have got out the way? Then we got a penalty for a push on Kennett that never was.'

Justin Keeler, who had scored Dorchester's second equaliser on Saturday, fired home the spotkick on 16 minutes and Dorchester went two up on the half hour when the same player slid the ball home after a goalmouth melee.

Lewes got back in the game on 65 minutes with their penalty award which Jean-Michel Sigere converted for his 18th goal of the season, 14 of which have been in the league.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Matt Groves sealed the tie for Dorchester in the 78th minute at the second attempt after the ball bounced back off Wilkerson but King said: 'He was five yards offside, that decision killed us.'

Lewes: Wilkerson, Legge, Hustwick, Sangare, Hooper, Gomes, Kennett, Lovett (Bradley), Beckford (Holligan), Brennan, Sigere.

Related topics: