Holbrook trips brings more misery for Midhurst

Midhurst failed to notch their first away win after a start that wasn't what they were looking for - and ended up 47-19 losers at Holbrook in Sussex division one.

No sooner had the action begun than Midhurst were pinned back in their 22 and Holbrook had their first lineout, which they won and drove the ball on and across the line for the first try, which was converted.

It looked like being another long afternoon for Midhurst as Holbrook scored two more converted tries.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

Suddenly Midhurst started waking with some good fluent passing. Off the back of a counter ruck, Steve Adams made a break down the blind side for George Hardy to dive across the line for a try. The conversion by Adams made the score 21-7.

When Holbrook restarted, Guy Schimdt made a fantastic break down the middle and soon Midhurst had scored another try, Matt Warken going over to score.

Holbrook came back with another two unanswered tries.

The second half wasn’t as exciting as Holbrook broke down the Midhurst defence yet again to score another two unanswered tries.

Going into the final 20 minutes Midhurst were in Holbrook’s 22 and another ruck had formed. Midhurst won the ball again and worked it to Jonah Mumm, who had the skill to pick the ball up and dive across the line. The conversion was missed.

Another two Holbrook tries, one converted, meant the game was over.

Midfhurst’s first XV host Brighton this Saturday.

Horsham III 47 Midhurst II 7

Sussex three west

Midhurst seconds travelled with a scratch team of 12 players including two Midhurst debutants - one of which was a debut to any form of rugby.

Horsham kindly loaned Midhurst three players and the visitors started well.

There was great running by forwards Danno May and Marcus Wells, big tackling from Shaun Smart, Chris West and Sam Ford and good work at the breakdown by experienced players such as John Whitby and Dean Marks.

But Horsham finally broke through for three first-half tries.

Injuries in the second half led to players having to play out of position, including Seb Linke stepping in very well at fly-half and Aaron Errington stepping up to the challenge of scrum-half.

Horsham took advantage of Midhurst’s rejigged team and scored a more tries. But in true Midhurst style, the visitors did not let their heads drop and got a score of their own, a five-metre scrum was pushed over the line, with No8 Fran De Villiers skilfully controlling the ball at the back of scrum behind picking up scoring a very well-deserved try for Midhurst.

The final score wasn’t important for Midhurst - they where just glad to be able to take to the field and keep the spirit of rugby alive.

They visit Bognor on December 8.

More players are needed by both teams - see www.midhurstrugby.co.uk for information.