Horsham U15 girls two wins away from national final

Horsham under-15 girls are just two game away from the National under-15 Girls Cup following Sunday’s 26-12 home victory over Eton Manor in the regional semi-finals.

Action from Horsham under-15 girls regional semi-final win over Eton Manor. Picture courtesy of Richard Ordidge
Action from Horsham under-15 girls regional semi-final win over Eton Manor. Picture courtesy of Richard Ordidge

Eton Manor arrived after a long journey to the Coolhurst ground and they were met by a very determined and focused Horsham side.

The Horsham side took to the field and set out their intentions very early in the game.

Mimi Clifford opened the home sides account with a fantastic individual 40 metre break to set down to the left of the posts.

Freya Bell converted the score and the home side was 7-0 ahead in the first five minutes of the game.

Straight from the restart the Horsham girls dominated the play, making fantastic inroads into Eton Manor's half.

After some jinking runs from Kacey Matthews, the opposition were under pressure to regain possession.

With a surge to the line and coming up short, a clever pop up from flanker Trudie Jones after a great individual break saw Bell cross over to score. Unfortunately, the conversion was missed and the score stood at 12-0.

A further try was awarded again to inside centre Clifford after some straight running into the opposition.

After shaking off the journey down to Sussex, Eton Manor woke from their slumber and crossed the line after some strong running and good phases of play.

The second half saw Eton Manor surge forward and break the Horsham line. A converted try saw the score at 19-12.

With the visitors looking to upset the day for Horsham a score was required.

Some great tackles were put in by Ellie Ediss, Safia Cross and Shay Spice on the wing.

Strong running from Leah Harman, Julianna Paul and Jones were pushing the opposition back and causing them a lot to think about.

A great covering tackle was made from Georgia Pearce to halt the visitors advance.

After some good set plays and working off the ball, it was moved smoothly down the line and caught by Millie Smith on the right wing.

Smith showed her opposite number a clean pair of heels and touched down in the corner. Bell duly converted and the score was 26-12.

The coaches were now clock watching and with more pressure being applied by Eton Manor it was looking like a come back was on its way.

Bell started to pin back the opposition with some tactical kicks and the game was finished by a clearance into touch.

Horsham would like to thank Eton Manor for the game and it was played in the correct spirit.

The regional final is being held at Harpenden RUFC on Sunday March 15. The opposition are yet to be confirmed.