Lewes' last hurrah brings win over Uckfield

At last there was some good weather for Lewes RFC as they prepared to stage the final game of the season, Uckfield the opponents.

Thursday, 3rd June 2021, 8:59 pm
A touch rugby demonstration was staged before the Lewes-Uckfield match / Picture: Danny Simpson

The women’s section kicked off the festivities with some touch rugby, and for many it was a long overdue chance to enjoy some rugby once more.

Following on from their 28-14 win over Burgess Hill, expectations were high.

However, without the services of seven of that squad and another dozen players also being unavailable, Lewes faced a difficult task.

Action from Lewes v Uckfield / Picture: Danny Simpson

Despite the inclusion on the bench of some of the talented Colts players, Lewes were not good enough against Uckfield and succumbed to a 36-14 loss.

The first quarter was fairly even, until a Lewes mistake enabled Uckfield to break and move the ball to the left for a score in the outside centre position.

The conversion was missed and Uckfield led 5-0 at the end of the quarter.

Uckfield applied more pressure in the second quarter and scored their second in roughly the same position as the first.

Lewes and Uckfield get to grips with each other

The conversion was missed again, but it was not long before they added a third behind the posts, which was converted.

By half-time Uckfield had increased their lead to 17-0.

There were some bright moments in the third quarter when a penalty gave Lewes the chance to attack Uckfield.

However, Uckfield’s clearance kick was knocked on and when a retreating Lewes player picked up the loose ball, an offside penalty was rightly awarded.

It was mistakes like this that were hindering Lewes and when, once again, Lewes lost possession in their own half, Uckfield capitalised with a try in the right corner.

So as the teams enjoyed a break at the end of this quarter, Uckfield’s lead was 22-0.

The fourth quarter started with an Uckfield try under the posts which was duly converted.

It was then that Lewes were able to apply some pressure, and this was rewarded with a try for James Sale that was converted by Ben Poole.

But Lewes were pegged back as an Uckfield try in the corner was converted.

However, Lewes came back strongly when a great kick from Ben Poole sent in Stash Maltby for his well-deserved try which he converted himself.