East Sussex Save the NHS Campaign has been fighting to save the health service, and says more than 1,700 people have signed their petition against the closure.
A consultation has been launched into the future of the service in a bid for the local NHS group – Eastbourne Hailsham and Seaford CCG – to save money.
The 3,351 people registered as permanent patients at the practice would have to register elsewhere in town.
It argues the service is already being provided elsewhere with the 111 phone service, GP appointments, and a new urgent treatment centre at the DGH.
However, campaigners say residents have told them in an online survey that closing a service which is saving people from going to hospital would be ‘insane’.
Another respondent said it was a service that ‘should be expanded and not closed’, and many said the walk-in centre had saved their lives.
A spokesperson for the organisation said, “The closure of this walk-in centre will just be another nail in the coffin of high- quality safe treatment under the NHS.
“Eastbourne relies on visitor numbers who must be able to access healthcare should they need it easily. A town centre location is so obviously preferable.”
Eastbourne council leader David Tutt has joined the campaign to save the service.
He said, “It is essential the station healthcare centre remains open as it is meeting the needs of people who would otherwise find it difficult to access healthcare.”
The consultation was launched earlier this month and will run until April 30 this year.
To find out more and take part in the consultation visit www.eastbourne hailshamandseafordccg.nhs.uk
Hard copies of the consultation are also available from the Station Health Centre, or you can call 01273 403687 or email [email protected]