Packed full of nuts and made with YaconViva’s Yacon Syrup for a low sugar twist, it’s perfect for chilly evenings by the fire. YaconViva Yacon Syrup is a natural alternative to sugar and is incredibly versatile, making it the ideal swap for all your Christmas bakes.
For the Cake:
200g Self Raising Flour
100g Light Brown Caster Sugar
2 tbsp Milk
1 tbsp cinnamon
5 Pitted Dates
2 Handfuls of Mixed Nuts
2 Oranges, zest only
2 tbsp YaconViva Syrup
A pinch of salt
For the Topping:
Around 4 tbsp Apricot Jam
675g Icing Sugar
3 egg whites
1 tsp lemon juice
1. Pre-heat the oven to 150c (fan assisted, 170c for non fan assisted) and grease a deep cake tin.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, YaconViva Yacon Syrup, milk and butter and put to one side.
3. Combine the flour, salt, sugar, and cinnamon in a separate bowl and then slowly fold in to the wet ingredients until thoroughly combined.
4. Mix in the dried fruit, nuts and orange zest.
5. When all combined and a sticky consistency, transfer to the greased cake tin.
6. Bake in the oven for one hour, using a knife to check it’s cooked. If the knife comes out clean then remove from the oven and leave to cool.
7. Leave the cake to cool thoroughly for at least a couple of hours and remove from the tin.
8. When cooled, spread the apricot jam over the cake ready to bind the icing.
9. Dust the countertop with icing sugar to ensure no sticking and knead the marzipan to make it mouldable then using a rolling pin to roll the marzipan into a thin even layer (approx. 2cm) and large enough to completely cover the cake.
10. Layer the marzipan on the cake, then pop some more apricot jam on top ready to cement the icing layer on top.
11. To make the icing, whisk the egg whites until frothy, adding the icing sugar in slowly.
12. Add the lemon juice and beat until its stiff and stands up.
13. As with the marzipan layer, roll on a dusted counter down to a thin and even layer (approx. 2cm) and pop on top of the jam covered marzipan layer.
14. Trim any overflowing icing and marzipan layers to size and decorate with YaconViva’s Cacao Nibs and your favourite festive treats!
YaconViva Yacon Syrup and Yacon sweetened Cacao Nibs are available now from Amazon UK, good health stores and from yaconviva.co.uk
A message from the Editor, Gary Shipton:
In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news, I am asking you to please purchase a copy of our newspapers.
With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspapers.