Asbestos poisoning killed builder

A RETIRED building manager died of cancer after breathing in asbestos over a period of time.

James Brooks (81), of Clydesdale Gardens, Bognor Regis, worked in a wood yard at Travis Perkins, cutting asbestos sheets, but did not wear a safety mask.

In June, 2006, he showed signs of breathlessness and one of his lungs had filled with fluid. Tests showed he had contracted Mesothelioma, a form of cancer, and Mr Brooks went to St Richard's for chemotherapy.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Doctors were unable to assist him any further and he passed away at home on September 13. No post mortem was carried out.

West Sussex Coroner Penelope Schofield gave a verdict of death from industrial disease at an inquest at Chichester Combined Court Centre.