BREAKING: Toaster fire in Worthing

THE fire service were called to a small kitchen fire in Bridge Road, Worthing, at 5.43 am today.

A toaster, which had previously been used the day before, was the cause of the fire.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

The house’s fire alarm did sound however the homeowner was already aware of the incident and called the emergency services.

The kitchen door was shut preventing smoke damage from spreading through the rest of the house.

A man was taken to hospital for precautionary checks.