Chimney fires spark safety warning

Firefighters are urging people to get their chimneys swept to avoid fires.

This article contains affiliate links. We may earn a small commission on items purchased through this article, but that does not affect our editorial judgement.


As the nights draw in and the temperature falls, Rother residents are lighting up for warmth.

But as many chimneys have stood unused for several months, there is an increased risk of fire.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Battle firefighters were called to reports of a blaze at a property in Harold Terrace at 10.45am on Wednesday (August 26).

The building was being refurbished and the hearth was being used to burn a small amount of paper waste.

Meanwhile crews from Burwash Fire Station were called to an address in Station Road, Hurst Green, after a chimney caught alight just before 1.45am, also on Wednesday.

The blaze was quickly extinguished.

Crew commander Jon Baker, of Battle Fire Station, said: “We would remind people it’s a good idea to have their chimneys swept prior to using them.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

* Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at

2) Like our Facebook page at

3) Follow us on Twitter Text to display

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Rye and Battle Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.

Related topics: