COUNTY NEWS: Disposable barbecue warning after rubbish tip fire

A disposable barbecue may have started a fire that temporarily closed a Sussex rubbish tip last week.

Wednesday, 31st August 2016, 4:17 pm
Updated Friday, 8th June 2018, 2:56 am
JPCT 250313 Hop Oast Amenity tip, Horsham. Photo by Derek Martin ENGPPP00320130325133757

The incident happened last Friday evening (August 26) at the Hop Oast site near Horsham and was thought to have started in a metal container due to a disposable BBQ igniting material on a camping chair.

After using disposable barbecues, residents are being advised to not throw away the charcoal until it is completely cool.

David Barling, West Sussex County Council’s cabinet member for residents’ Services, said: “Thankfully this fire was contained, disruption to normal services was minimal and on this occasion no-one was hurt.

“This incident serves as a reminder to take care when using disposable BBQs.

“Always make sure the charcoal is completely cool before disposing of it, which might take several hours. It is not worth the risk.”

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service declared the Horsham Household Waste Recycling Site safe to the public later on Friday evening.

Mr Barling added: “If you have any doubts about safely disposing your barbecue you can speak with a member of staff at your local Household Waste Recycling Site.”

For more information on the safe disposal of barbecues visit

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage

2) Like our Facebook page

3) Follow us on Twitter

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.