Eastbourne man dies from asbestos exposure

A 69-year-old man died due to cancer caused by exposure to asbestos, an inquest heard.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Martin Nicholson died in his home in Sorrel Drive on September 9 of this year.

An inquest at Eastbourne Town Hall on Thursday (October 29), heard Mr Nicholson, a skilled labourer, had been exposed to water pipes made from asbestos cement for a number of years, ending in 2002.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

In a statement made in February 2019, Mr Nicholson said the pipes made from asbestos cement were ‘very common due to their strength, however they were often in poor condition because they were very old’.

Eastbourne Town Hall (Photo by Jon Rigby) SUS-190425-155127008Eastbourne Town Hall (Photo by Jon Rigby) SUS-190425-155127008
Eastbourne Town Hall (Photo by Jon Rigby) SUS-190425-155127008

Dr Andrew Baldwin, Mr Nicholson’s GP, said he presented with ‘abnormal weight loss’ in August 2018.

Upon inspection it was discovered Mr Nicholson was suffering from mesothelioma, a form of cancer caused by the inhalation of asbestos fibres.

Mr Nicholson was treated with chemotherapy, but as the cancer progressed it was decided he moved to palliative care with the aim of optimising his quality of life, the inquest heard.

East Sussex’s coroner Alan Craze ruled Mr Nicholson’s death was due to an industrial disease – calling it a ‘horrible form of cancer’.

He offered his condolences to the family.

Related topics: