Eastbourne man dies from asbestos exposure
and live on Freeview channel 276
Martin Nicholson died in his home in Sorrel Drive on September 9 of this year.
An inquest at Eastbourne Town Hall on Thursday (October 29), heard Mr Nicholson, a skilled labourer, had been exposed to water pipes made from asbestos cement for a number of years, ending in 2002.
In a statement made in February 2019, Mr Nicholson said the pipes made from asbestos cement were ‘very common due to their strength, however they were often in poor condition because they were very old’.
Dr Andrew Baldwin, Mr Nicholson’s GP, said he presented with ‘abnormal weight loss’ in August 2018.
Upon inspection it was discovered Mr Nicholson was suffering from mesothelioma, a form of cancer caused by the inhalation of asbestos fibres.
Mr Nicholson was treated with chemotherapy, but as the cancer progressed it was decided he moved to palliative care with the aim of optimising his quality of life, the inquest heard.
East Sussex’s coroner Alan Craze ruled Mr Nicholson’s death was due to an industrial disease – calling it a ‘horrible form of cancer’.
He offered his condolences to the family.