Ex-soldier found dead in park took his own life, inquest hears

A coroner has concluded that a former soldier found hanged in Tilgate Park took his own life.
Aidan Knight SUS-170307-142659001Aidan Knight SUS-170307-142659001
Aidan Knight SUS-170307-142659001

Father-of-three, Aidan Knight, 29, who had been diagnosed with symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), was discovered on April 8 2015, said law firm Hodge Jones & Allen, which is representing his family.

At an inquest held in Crawley, a coroner concluded that the cause of death was suicide.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A Hodge Jones & Allen spokesman said: “His death followed numerous suicide attempts made over the previous six months. The inquest, which began in November 2016 has heard evidence concerning the actions of Sussex Police, the Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust and West Sussex County Council in the days and months leading up to Aidan’s death. The family seek to understand why Aidan was not identified as being at high risk, why his treatment was delayed and the adequacy of response of the authorities in the hours leading up to his death.”

Aidan, who lived in Pelham Place, joined the army aged 17 and fought in Iraq. He left after five years and confided in his mother that he had seen ‘too much death’. He was deeply distressed by his brother’s death in 2012.

The spokesman added: “Aidan took an overdose of Diazepam, in the first of four suicide attempts over a short period of time. Despite assessments by police and NHS psychiatrists, some of which recorded symptoms of PTSD, Aidan was not considered high risk enough to be admitted to hospital and did not receive treatment. Aidan continued to experience distress and on 5 March 2015 went to A&E at East Surrey Hospital to seek help. A psychiatric nurse diagnosed Aidan as suffering with symptoms of PTSD and advised that he would be contacted by the Community Mental Health Team. Aidan was assessed by the Community Mental Health Team on 10 March. He was referred to a mental health liaison practitioner.”

However, Aidan’s need for a practitioner was not confirmed until March 26. He had visited his GP about the lack of follow up from the Community Mental Health Team, the spokesman said.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He added: “Over the following month, Aidan’s family became increasingly concerned about his behaviour and the fact that he continued to voice suicidal thoughts. The mental health practitioner assigned Aidan’s case was on annual leave until 8 April 2015 and Aidan’s case was not reassigned to another caseworker. In the early hours of 8 April 2015, Aidan spoke to both his mother and ex-partner, explaining he couldn’t go on and went out walking, taking a rope with him. The police were called but three hours later Aidan was found dead by dog walkers in Tilgate Park.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live. Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on. 1) Make our website your homepage

2) Like our Facebook page

3) Follow us on Twitter

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here. And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Always the first with your local news. Be part of it.