The Early May bank holiday is always a good start to the holiday season – if the weather is fine.
But perhaps this year it was not extra special for a day, on Worthing beach especially, as it turned to rain in the afternoon.
So it’s hats off to those who turned up to take part in our 2017 Three Forts Challenge along the South Downs for either a full or half marathon at the weekend. It’s always an event our club members join in – usually as marshals – leaving the other stuff to the competitors and entrants who come along to this annual and ever-popular event. This year there were 772 entries, with 288 runners completing the half-marathon and 352 the full marathon.
The marathon winner was Claire Rogers, running on her own account and achieving a new record for a female runner.
The half-marathon winner was Jamie Corbett, running for Worthing & District Harriers.
Many congratulations to them both.
Congratulations also to Scott Wallace for his success and representing Goring Road Runners, another local group.
Full details of this year’s event and loads of pictures are on www.threefortschallenge.org.uk
The runners’ comments are very complimentary.
Members from our club and the other local Rotary clubs along the route are very pleased to help out and enjoy the day too. If running may not be your sport, but joining in something else may interest you, how about teaming up with our Rotary Club and helping too?
We will give you three months free membership from May – no membership costs and no obligations.
Come along and join in, let’s support you.
Details of Worthing’s three Rotary clubs are:
• Worthing Rotary Club meets Monday, 12.55pm, at the Chatsworth Hotel, in The Steyne, Worthing, 01903 209564.
• West Worthing Rotary Club meets Tuesday evening at Tudor Close, Ferring, 01903 501961.
• Worthing Steyne Rotary Club meets Monday evening at The Ardington Hotel, in Steyne Gardens, Worthing, 07788 638757.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.worthingherald.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Worthing.news
3) Follow us on Twitter @Worthing_Herald
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Worthing Herald - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.