Protests restart over planned closure of Eastbourne health centre

Protests against the planned closure of Eastbourne Station Health Centre are restarting tomorrow (August 19).

Protests against the planned closure of Eastbourne Station Health Centre are restarting tomorrow (August 19).

It comes after a consultation into the service’s closure was relaunched on August 3.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

The peaceful, socially-distanced demonstrations, led by East Sussex Save the NHS, will take place every Thursday from midday until the consultation is wrapped up in September.

A previous protest against plans to close Eastbourne Station Health Centre

All protesters are being told to wear masks.

A spokesperson for Easy Sussex Save the NHS said, “The Eastbourne public demonstrated to us very clearly before the lockdown how much you believed our town needed its walk-in centre.

“The campaign fears the primary care policy is going to make services such as this even more vital.

“Walk-in centres were initially created to reduce pressure on A&E units and help keep people out of hospital.

“A lot of changes to NHS policy have been dressed up as measures needed to help keep people out of hospital. But it is primary care services that do just that and in Eastbourne we often are experiencing more and more difficulty in accessing primary care.”

The consultation, which has been paused due to the covid-19 crisis, will now run until September 14.

East Sussex CCG plans to save money by cutting the medical centre, but campaigners argue the town does not need to lose a much-used walk-in and GP service.

Eastbourne’s MP Caroline Ansell also previously criticised the proposals, raising concerns about GP spaces in town.

She said, “It is a real concern to me that those registered at the station will be left without a local GP practice to join.”

To take part in the consultation, visit www.eastsussexccg.nhs.uk/engagement/the-future-of-eastbourne-station-health-centre or call 01273 403687.

A message from the Editor, Gary Shipton:

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news, I am asking you to please purchase a copy of our newspapers.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspapers.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.