Watch Claremont Hotel in Eastbourne come crashing down

The Claremont Hotel on Eastbourne’s seafront has come crashing down.

Onlookers gathered to watch the fire-ravaged building be brought down by demolition machines this morning (February 14).

Much of the hotel was destroyed when a fire broke out back in November.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

It was initially hoped that some of the Grade II listed facade could be saved, but following recent collapses of large sections of the remaining structure due to Storm Ciara a council spokesperson said the building had been left ‘unstable and clearly hazardous’.

The owners of the Claremont Hotel said this morning that the loss of the hotel was a ‘tragedy’.

The spokesperson added, “The demolition works of the Claremont Hotel has been agreed and is getting underway today (Friday). This follows permission being granted on February 7.

“As a result of the extreme weather caused by Storm Ciara, a portion of the front elevation of the building collapsed.

“A 70 tonne specialist demolition rig has been deployed and was brought in by road convoy to safely take down the remaining front elevation to a safe height and from a safe distance.

Demoltion starts at the Claremont Hotel

“Efforts are being made to complete as much work as possible by the time Storm Dennis arrives on Saturday.

“The work is being undertaken in cooperation with the Local Authority who have approved the work to this listed building.

“The loss of this fine hotel is a tragedy. We are working closely with the local authorities and contractors to ensure the complex demolition process runs smoothly.

“We are using all the recourses at our disposal to make the site safe and remove the debris.

Nathan Dunbar

“We thank the Eastbourne community for their support and patience.”

An Eastbourne Borough Council spokesman said earlier this week, “Following the second collapse of the hotel façade earlier this week, plans are being prepared for the start of demolition works.

“These collapses have left the remains of the building unstable and clearly hazardous, so regrettably, initial hopes of preserving elements of the Grade II listed hotel may not now be possible.

“The demolition work required is highly complex, not least because of the adjoining Burlington Hotel and other adjacent properties.

Nathan Dunbar

“The work is subject to final permissions being achieved. Council officers are liaising with the hotel owner and their appointed demolition contractor in order to achieve this.

“We are keeping local residents and businesses updated and will continue to work with all our partners in order to return this section of seafront to normal, as soon as possible.”

It is hoped that much of the work will be finished before Storm Denis sweeps in over the weekend.

When the demolition work is finished, the seafront road should be re-opened to traffic.

Nathan Dunbar