These were awarded to Russia and Qatar in 2010. but she is calling for countries to withdraw their teams unless the bids are re-run and allegations of corruption are properly dealt with.
In a European Parliament debate on the FIFA scandal, she urged countries around Europe to show a united front in boycotting the tournaments until the organisation cleans up its act.
The European Parliament is set to vote today on a resolution which will call for:
- Sepp Blatter to stand down immediately so an interim president can be appointed,
- A full review to be launched into the Qatar and Russia World Cup bids,
- FIFA’s Executive Committee to put in place wholesale reforms to improve transparency and root out corruption.
Mrs Beader, a Member of the European Parliament for the South East, said: “The endemic corruption in FIFA is tarnishing the whole sport with the same brush.
“We need to send a strong message to FIFA that they cannot continue to get away with dragging the beautiful game through the mud.
“I’m urging all EU countries to withdraw their national teams from both the 2018 and 2022 World Cup tournaments unless FIFA cleans up its act.
“Sepp Blatter must go immediately, and whoever replaces him must re-run the Qatar and Russia World Cup bidding process in a fair and transparent way.”
Mr Blatter announced he would resign as president of FIFA following the indictment of several current and former FIFA officials, but only after his successor was elected.
What do you think of the story? Share our story or comment below.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.