Popular photographer dies, aged 97

A MUCH-loved former Lewes photographer has died at the age of 97.

Thursday, 10th July 2008, 12:55 pm
Updated Thursday, 7th June 2018, 10:37 pm

Ed Meyer specialised in wedding photography for more than 26 years and immortalised the weddings of almost 1,500 local couples.

In his retirement he worked tirelessly for a number of local charities until he was well into his eighties.

He came to Lewes with his wife and three children in 1951 after an eventful early life which saw him live and work in USA during the Great Depression before returning to his home town of Rugby. There, he worked for BTH, where Sir Frank Whittle was developing the jet engine, and also served as a war-time fireman.

In 1951 he acquired a photographic business from Lewes photographer Guy Gravett and became a successful wedding photographer.

Roger Meyer, Ed's son and former Knill James senior partner, said: 'He was also a gifted all-round photographer winning the Sussex Professional Championship in 1966 and again in 1971, and gaining the highest level national qualifications.

'His big scoop came in 1960 when Lewes was badly flooded and completely cut off.

'He walked over the hills to Brighton and took his exposed film by train to Fleet Street in time for his pictures to be syndicated in the nationals the next morning.

'Typically of dad, all of the profits he earned from the photos were donated to the Flood Appeal Fund.'

Following his retirement in 1976 he devoted his time to voluntary work for a variety of charities including Lewes Age Concern, Meals on Wheels, House of Friendship, Torch Trust and the League of Friends of Lewes Victoria Hospital.

His daughter Janet Foraud said: 'When he retired he went straight into the volunteer bureau and said what can I do?

'Both he and my mum filled their lives with voluntary work.

Tributes can be left below:

'He delivered meals on wheels for 20 years and by the time he finished he was 87 and older than all of the people he was taking food to!

'Sadly, poor eyesight, poor hearing and frailty hindered him in his last few years but his spirit remained the same.

'His mottos to the end were: "I can do it" and "keep smiling".'

His wife Peggy, who worked with him at the Station Street studio after raising their three children, died in 1999.

Ed died peacefully in his sleep on June 22, he is survived by children Janet and Roger, six grandchildren and four great-grandchildren. His younger daughter Shirley died aged 40.