In a press conference held at Sussex Police’s headquarters in Lewes this afternoon, assistant chief constable Steve Barry said: “The operation has now entered the recovery phase.
“This has been an incredibly traumatic incident and our thoughts are with all those who have been affected, from those who have suffered bereavement to the local residents who have been enormously shocked.
“We have now identified 11 people who we are treating as highly likely to have died in this tragedy.”
Nick Bunting, secretary general of the Royal Air Forces Association, also spoke at the press conference.
He said: “We are offering the pilot and his family our best wishes and support and we would like to pay tribute to the emergency services for their work at this distressing time.”
Police previously said at least seven people had died when the Hawker Hunter jet crashed on the A27.
A crane will be brought to the scene of the incident to remove the aircraft tomorrow (Monday August 24).
Anyone concerned for unaccounted relatives can call 01273 470101.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage
2) Like our Facebook page
3) Follow us on Twitter
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
Always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.