Graham Potter issues this stern warning despite 'huge' win at Norwich

The yell of delight and the relief on Graham's Potter's face as the final whistle blew at Carrow Road spoke volumes

Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Graham Potter
Brighton and Hove Albion head coach Graham Potter

A fine first half goal from Leandro Trossard lifts Brighton nine points above the relegation places with five matches remaining.

The performance was assured and full of character and the three points were huge against Daniel Farke's doomed Norwich and should see Albion safe.

But with the next two matches against Liverpool and Man City, Potter refused to admit that his men are safe despite reaching a points tally of 36 - their total for last season.

"No I don't think it makes us safe," said Potter. "It a huge win for us and a hard-fought three points.

"We all knew the importance with Liverpool and City up next, but whatever history says, it doesn't matter. We are in a unique season and we need to keep fighting until the end.

"There are aspects of our performance that we are not so happy with, but there are times in the season where you have to just take the results.

"Before any game, I say we need to play well, run hard and get a bit of luck and we got that at the end."

Farke's gamble to drop Todd Cantwell and Teemu Pukki to the bench backfired as Norwich rarely offered a goal threat.

It was another nail in the coffin of the Canaries' survival hopes, with Trossard's fourth goal of the Premier League campaign leaving the hosts seven points adrift of safety with five games to play.

Potter watched Brighton complete the double over their opponents with an assured display.

After Aaron Connolly fizzed an effort over from Aaron Mooy's free-kick for the Seagulls in the third minute, it was Norwich who took control.

But with chief creator Cantwell and top goalscorer Pukki left on the bench, the Canaries were not able to turn their early possession into clear-cut chances at Carrow Road.

Onel Hernandez - one of four changes made by Farke after Wednesday's 4-0 loss at Arsenal - was the hosts' most threatening player in the first half and he sliced wide after Emiliano Buendia's pass in the 19th minute.

The first drinks break of the afternoon occurred shortly after and the visitors soon went ahead when play restarted.

Norwich centre-back Timm Klose gave possession away in midfield and Brighton broke at pace with Neal Maupay playing in Mooy down the right, and he produced a fine cross into the area where Trossard stroked home from seven yards.

It was almost 2-0 in the 50th minute when Mooy's free-kick from the left found Dan Burn and he diverted an effort just wide off his back.

Norwich responded five minutes later but Buendia's volley was blocked before left-back Jamal Lewis produced a wonderful ball into the area, which no one could get on to.

Farke brought on Pukki and Cantwell in the 67th minute, with young forward Adam Idah also introduced.

It was the latter who went closest out of the trio, but his deft header from Kenny McLean's free-kick in the third minute of stoppage time hit the inside of a post and was cleared.

It was a stroke of good fortune for Brighton who were able to see out the final exchanges. The celebrations on the visiting bench at full-time clearly showed the significance of this result.

Albion can start making tentative plans for next season in the top flight.

Brighton: Ryan, Lamptey (Duffy 90+3), Dunk, Webster, Burn, Bissouma (Stephens 78), Propper, Trossard (Mac Allister 78), Mooy (Bernardo 72), Connolly (Gross 72), Maupay.

Subs not used: Button, Murray, March, Montoya.

Referee: Stuart Attwell.