Broadbridge Heath beat AFC Uckfield Town in a proper cup tie

This was a proper cup tie with penalties, passion, a sending off, more yellow cards than Easter and 5 second half goals.

And, in the best traditions there was an element of giant killing with Broadbridge Heath from the relegation zone seeing off league leaders AFC Uckfield Town, hitherto unbeaten with 6 wins from eight starts, despite fielding a nucleus from Eastbourne Town’s former Under 23 side

This was a thoroughly well deserved win for Heath, playing most of the second half with ten men after Alfie Jones was sent off following the award of two yellows, the fourth time that has happened to a Heath player his season.

Read More
Hailsham Town hit Roffey for six in the Sussex Senior Cup
Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The game began with good early passing moves and ball retention from Heath with a corner headed wide and an attempt by Trent Fawcett also off target. It took Uckfield almost a quarter of an hour to launch their first attack, but to no avail, amid Heath’s Jamie Taylor and Charlie Parmiter harrying the opposition.

The lively first half ended goal-less after four corners – one for Heath and three for the visitors – before Lewis Croal side footed a cross past the post. Heath had created more chances, looking by no means out of place despite Uckfield’s far superior start to the season.

On the resumption an early Heath attack was scrambled clear. Next came a highly speculative long range punt by Uckfield’s Jay Stephens, until, 5 minutes in, Lewis Croal put Heath ahead with a penalty after being tripped with the ball at his feet. Alfie Jones was promptly sent off, with even the Uckield bench mystified, and it soon got worse when Uckfield equalised from a Heath deflection of Callum Ridley’s shot. In a frantic session the ball was cleared off the line at both ends, ahead of the visitors finding the net, but only after the ref had blown for offside

It was getting feisty and an Uckfield shot was punched clear. But, visiting keeper Jason Tibble had shown a fondness for heading upfield and this proved his downfall on the quarter of an hour mark when Heath’s Craig Goodsir spotted him well away from his line and lobbed him from half way for the goal of the match

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Then, mid way through the half Taylor’s header was tipped over for Ollie Joel to nod in for Heath’s third from the corner. Taylor looked to have added a fourth, only to be denied by the woodwork – Heath’s enemy in recent games. Uckfield were blazing away with harmless wild strikes and when the ball subsequently entered their penalty area it was handballed, allowing Croal to convert from the spot again, putting the contest to bed, Heath Secretary Andy Crisp telling the County Times: “That was a great win against top of the table Uckfield and 8 goals for us in two games!”

Heath are at home again on Saturday, entertaining Hassocks in the league.

Related topics: