Cox has final say for Lavant on boat-race day

Lavant edged out Faygate in a seven-goal thriller but there was woe for their reserves. Read all about it in our latest West Sussex League round-up.

Lavant 4 Faygate 3

West Sussex League division one

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

Having beaten teams in the lower third of the table, this was an important test for Lavant as they hosted a side ahead of them in mid-table.

After dominating the opening ten minutes, Lavant went 1-0 down against the run of play. Jon Wright was adjudged to have fouled Faygate’s Dan Hills on the edge of the box and Paul Jones headed home the free-kick.

Ryan Seacombe was denied twice by great saves from Faygate keeper Stuart Bregan in the second and 19th minutes before Darren Cox rattled the visitors’ post on 35 minutes and Seacombe hit the crossbar a minute later.

After the restart, the home fans started to think it was going to be one of those days when David Knight hit the woodwork on 55 minutes. But finally the breakthrough came when Pete Cairns toe-ended Dan Cowell’s free-kick home to equalise just before the hour.

The pendulum swung back within seconds as a route-one punt let Jones in to restore the Crawley side’s lead. But five minutes later, Seacombe again put Lavant level.

For the first time, the home side went ahead with Cox directing Cairns’ long throw in on 72 minutes.

Those of a nervous disposition were feeling the pressure, especially when a mix-up between Tom Parker and keeper Ashley Rochester let Andy Brimelaw in and the rebound off him limped into the net.

Lavant applied more pressure and when Cowell was bowled over in the box, Cox won the game for Lavant from the spot-kick with five minutes left.

Manager David Parker said: “I nearly had a heart attack, but we deserved the win. We had to beat both Faygate and Lady Luck to do it.”

LAVANT: Rochester; Coe, Parker, Wright, Cairns; Knight, Brooks, Stevens, Cowell; Seacombe, Cox. Subs: Kennard, Eastwood.

Selsey A 6 Lavant Reserves 0

Division three south

Having been knocked out of a cup and beaten in the league by Selsey, revenge was on Lavant’s minds and their determination was evident in the way they started. But Selsey stood strong and then showed their true class.

With 20 minutes gone, Selsey won a free kick ten yards in from the corner flag. The ball was floated into the box and the home side scored.

Lavant striker Rhys Watling had a great opportunity but his shot went agonisingly wide.

Selsey seized the initiative as a long punt found their striker who drew the keeper before knocking in number two.

With minutes to go before half-time Selsey struck once more.

Lavant once more started well and could have pulled a goal back, but a fine save from the Selsey keeper denied them.

Selsey were deadly on the counter-attack and Lavant’s hard work was then undone as they added a fourth.

Lavant forged good chances but poor finishing was the order of their day.

In the last ten minutes Selsey added two more to round off a comprehensive victory.

Selsey were very well-organised and may well go on to the win the division.

LAVANT RES: Turner, Green, Ayers, Pinder, Maclean, Wiggins, Hine, Massey, Cook-Jones, Watling, Cole. Subs: Milburn.