Crawley Town 1 Bristol Rovers 2: 91st minute goal knocks Reds out of FA Cup

Crawley Town’s hopes of going on a lucrative FA Cup run ended when they beaten 2-1 at home by Bristol Rovers.

A 91st minute goal by Rovers’ John-Joe O’Toole sealed Crawley’s fate at the end of tonight’s rearranged second round replay.

The Reds took an early lead through Jamie Proctor and had looked the better side during the first half.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But the visitors rallied to score two goals in the last eight minutes which curtail Reds’ campaign at the earliest stage in the competition since 2010.

The Stadium had a patched up look with loads of sand used near the West Stand side to treat the churned up grass.

Crawley took the initiative in the early stages to press forward in search of a goal but a shot from Emile Sinclair deflected wide was the only attempt on goal from a series of four corners.

Mike Jones cut in from the left and unleashed a shot slightly off-balance which flew a couple of feet over the bar.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Reds took the lead in the 14th minute when Nicky Adams crossed from the right for Jamie Proctor to head in from the far post.

Against the run of play Rovers should have equalised through a close-range header by the unmarked David Clarkson which was saved by Paul Jones before Clarkson hit the rebound into the side netting.

Just before half-time Jones denied Bristol again as Tom Lockyer crossed well for John-Joe O’Tooley to side-foot a volley on target but without much power.

Rovers had the first chance of the second half when a corner kick was headed on target by Elliot Richards and Paul Jones produced a good save to push over the bar.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The game was being played without much intensity and perhaps not helped by the wet pitch, the game became scrappy without much being created by either side.

Sinclair had a go from 30 yards with an effort which went well wide and he made way for Gary Alexander in the 72st minute.

Bristol finished strongly and nearly took the lead when Tom Parkes hit the post with an overhead kick and Paul Jones desperately grabbed the rebound.

The visitors keep the pressure on at the Crawley end and had a free-kick from just outside the area deflected off the wall.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

For minutes of added time were signalled and somehow it did not look good for Crawley as they could not get out of their own penalty area.

Looking the stronger side at the end, Bristol took the lead for the first time in the 91st minute when an initial attempt by substitute Chris Beardsley was saved by Jones and O’Toole put away the rebound from just six yards.

REDS: P Jones, Sadler, Connolly, McFadzean, Torres, Drury, Walsh, Proctor, Adams, Sinclair (Alexander 71), M.Jones. Unused subs: Hurst, Simpson, Smith, Maddison

ROVERS: Mildenhall, M. Smith, Parkes, Clarkson (Harrison 71), Harrold, Richards, Brown, Clark, McChrystal, Lockyer (Beardsley 62), O’Toole

SUBS: Woodwood, Norburn, Harding, Gough, Keary

REFEREE: Andy Davies

ATTENDANCE: 2,435 (243 away)