FA Cup: Pagham take Ryman premier side Carshalton to replay

Two divisions separate Pagham and Carshalton - but no goals separated the two as the Lions managed a creditable draw at home to their Ryman premier visitors.

For the majority of the first half it was the Lions who looked the more likely to score, but Carshalton could claim a win on points in the second half.

With Scott Murfin restored to the starting line-up, Howard Neighbour dropped to the bench for the Lions, and Tom Broadbent also made a welcome return to Lions colours. James Binfield took the place of the suspended Andy Smallpiece in goal.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

With the game less than a minute old, Paul Jones did well to clear as Tom Bird flew into Pagham’s area and tried to squeeze a shot past Binfield.

Callum Cutler tested Nick Hamman in the Robins’ goal and the Lions entered a period of superiority with a series of free-kicks and shots peppering Hamman’s area.

Cutler went closest on 18 minutes, forcing a superb save from Hamman. Murfin shot on the turn, while a cross from James Ford was just too long.

Paul Vines was clear on goal for Carshalton, but again Jones was on hand to rescue the Lions.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The first booking came just after the half-hour as Ashley Caren saw yellow for bringing Pagham’s Joe Briggs down.

James Temple found himself offside as the Lions again threatened. Caren was again involved for the visitors - he had a low shot saved and was instrumental in the Robins hitting the woodwork on 40 minutes.

Twice in the last couple of minutes of the half Carshalton could have gone ahead. Caren forced a superb save from Binfield while a shot from Vines was blocked.

The first action after the restart saw Ola Sogbanku shoot wide for the visitors. Carshalton’s best player Lewis Taylor saw a shot tipped over by Binfield as again the Pagham keeper justified his place in the side.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Next in the book was Pagham skipper Neil Murfin following a rash challenge. This seemed to wake up Carshalton as they laid siege to the Lions goal.

Vines was through but shot wide and Jones foiled a forward run by Luke Pidgen. Vine missed the target again, shooting high and wide.

Lewis Taylor was shown a yellow card for a tackle on Joe Briggs. Cutler shot wide of the mark on 70 minutes.

A double substitution for the Lions saw Broadbent replace Ford and Scott Murfin replaced by leading scorer Neighbour.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Ashley Taylor’s scuffed shot on 73 minutes summed up an afternoon where players just couldn’t hit the mark. There was almost an own goal as keeper Hamman had to tip the ball away from a goalward strike from one of his own players.

Sogbanku and Vines again tried to find a way past Binfield, but a header wide and a tip round the post meant the score remained 0-0 with less than ten minutes to go.

Carshalton looked to have two legitimate penalty requests denied as they pushed for a late winning goal.

As the minutes ticked down to a replay on Tuesday, neither side could force their way through, so a trip to the War Memorial Ground on Tuesday sees the Lions keeping their hopes of Wembley alive at least for another few days.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It also means they will be in Monday’s second qualifying round draw.

PAGHAM: Binfield, Buckland, Ford (Broadbent), Pearce, Jones, Booker, Briggs, N Murfin, Temple, S Murfin (Neighbour), Cutler (Cox). Unused subs: Hawker, Kilner.


Related topics: