Hastings beaten by Bridges again

Hastings United's footballers were beaten by Three Bridges for the second time in two-and-a-half weeks tonight (Tuesday).

Chris Cumming-Bart scored Hastings United's second goal in the 3-2 defeat away to Three Bridges tonight. Picture courtesy Scott White
Chris Cumming-Bart scored Hastings United's second goal in the 3-2 defeat away to Three Bridges tonight. Picture courtesy Scott White

Bridges became only the second team after runaway leaders Folkestone Invicta to complete the double over United in Ryman Football League Division One South this season with a 3-2 victory.

United left themselves a mountain to climb by falling three goals behind in the first 37 minutes, and although they struck either side of half time to get back into it, the deficit proved just too much to claw back.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

Harry Doherty made his debut in United’s goal and fellow Brighton & Hove Albion loanee Robin Deen also made the starting line-up in midfield. Sam Cole returned after being an unused substitute at the weekend, but Simon Johnson missed out through injury.

Bridges took command with three goals in the space of 12 minutes. Jamie Brotherton latched on to a long ball and slotted home the opener before Sammy MacVicar headed in a Tony Garrod cross six minutes later.

Brotherton made it 3-0 by mopping up the rebound after Doherty had thwarted Garrod. United got one back in the 42nd minute when Chris Cumming-Bart was fouled by John Lansdale inside the box and Cole tucked away the subsequent penalty.

Sean Ray struck the top of the Bridges crossbar with a looping header before the break, while after the turnaround, Hakeem Adelakun skimmed United’s crossbar following a long ball by Lansdale.

Sam Adams shot just wide for United before they pulled another goal back on the hour. Cumming-Bart picked up a loose ball just outside the area and his shot deflected into the corner.

Tyrell Richardson-Brown was denied by a super save from Kieron Thorp and Ollie Rowe’s header from a Cumming-Bart cross was narrowly off target as a United equaliser proved elusive.

United: Doherty, Rowe, Cole, Deen, Ray, Walder, Richardson-Brown (Wilson), Cumming-Bart, Attwood, Adams, Cruttwell (Temba). Subs not used: Foster, Smith, Rose. Attendance: 108.

Ryman Division One South top half (played-points): 1 Folkestone Invicta 36-86, 2 Dorking Wanderers 36-70, 3 Worthing 35-68, 4 Herne Bay 36-63, 5 Ramsgate 36-61, 6 Faversham Town 35-61, 7 Corinthian-Casuals 35-60, 8 HASTINGS UNITED 32-59, 9 Hythe Town 33-59, 10 Guernsey 36-58, 11 Molesey 34-58, 12 Carshalton Athletic 36-55.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at facebook.com/pages/Sport-Sussex

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!