Leigh gets Bognor back on track at Lewes

Bognor were narrow winners against Lewes at the Dripping Pan as Tommy Leigh's early header separated the two sides in a scrappy game in the Isthmian premier.
Tommy Leigh was the scorer at LewesTommy Leigh was the scorer at Lewes
Tommy Leigh was the scorer at Lewes

Kristian Campbell was at the Dripping Pan to sign for the Rocks and he is likely to make a second-spell debut against Bowers & Pitsea at home on Saturday.

James Crane returned to the action in the starting XI after starting on the bench at Haringey Borough. Tresor Shema was moved to the bench.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Bognor took the lead in the third minute. Crane did well to dig out a cross from the left to allow Leigh to glance his header low into the bottom corner with goalkeeper Nathan Stroomberg-Clarke well beaten. The perfect start.

A good ball over the top saw Josh Flint try to control it but Christian Frimpong shepherded it out for a corner. Bognor stole the ball in the Lewes half before Leigh passed to Dan Smith but he was blocked. Harry Kavanagh played a poor pass into the middle allowing Daniel Olusemo to run through but his ball inside was easily dealt with by keeper Amadou Tangara.

Lewes' James Hammond needed treatment after a collision. Kavanagh's corner found Smith, who glanced a header inside the area before Keaton Wood nodded it over on 13 minutes. Jerry Puemo denied Dajon Golding as the Rooks attacked, then Hammond’s left sided corner was hacked away by Wood.

Leon Redwood bamboozled Puemo, who tripped up allowing the full-back in on goal but his low cross was cut out by Wood. Hammond sent a shot wide from long distance on 20 minutes.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Brad Lethbridge curled in a dipping cross from the left searching for Smith but Alex Malins somehow managed to clear. Golding pounced on the attack when he received the ball from Billy Medlock but Wood was there to deny him before Puemo headed it out.

Good swift passing from Rocks saw Leigh pick out Smith, who in turn found Lethbridge but when the forward cut inside he belted the ball over the crossbar. Leigh and Smith played in Kavanagh who crossed to an unmarked Lethbridge, who controlled it before shooting low and forcing a good save from the goalkeeper.

Lethbridge put another shot wide before Dimitri Hatzimouratis forced a good stop by Tangara. Leigh brought a routine save from the goalkeeper.

Leigh's free-kick on 42 minutes picked out Smith, who rose highest but he nodded wide. Olusemo was fouled by Lethbridge who went into the book. The Rocks dealt with the free kick. HT 0-1

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Jardel Francis-Adeyinka came on for the hosts at the restart. Medlock smashed one over the bar then Aaron Cosgrave belted a shot wide.

Bognor were sloppy and often passes were going astray putting them under pressure. An inspired Wood was back to block yet again at the back.

Golding turned Kavanagh before shooting high and wide from the edge of the box on 53 minutes. Puemo slipped up again allowing Medlock to shoot but he was denied by Tangara and then Puemo blocked the follow-up. Lethbridge responded with a run on the left before cutting inside and shooting wide.

Kavanagh sent Smith away and he turned his marker with ease but his shot was well saved. Puemo and Golding clashed on the left and the referee yellow-carded both players for their reactions on 59 minutes. Kavanagh was booked for a shirt pull.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Frimpong's shot flew high over the crossbar on 63 minutes. Then Lewes beat the offside trap but Francis-Adeyinka sliced the ball well wide.

Ashton Leigh replaced a clearly unhappy Lethbridge on 70 minutes. Kavanagh got forward and forced a save from the legs of Stroomberg-Clarke on 71 minutes.

Ashton Leigh picked out the overlapping run from Whyte before he had a shot blocked by a brave stop from the goalkeeper.

Hatzimouratis hit one from outside the box which was saved by Tangara and then Cosgrave forced another save. On 77 minutes Cosgrave flicked the ball over Tangara but Puemo was back to deny Cosgrave.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Cosgrave went to ground under the challenge of Puemo who went down with the player. The referee gave a corner as the Lewes fans complained they should have had a penalty.

Redwood beat his marker before shooting low at goal. Tangara was equal to it. Puemo went down with cramp but did return to play.

On 84 minutes Shema replaced Flint for Bognor. Ben Mendoza replaced Tom Dinsmore on 88 minutes.

Five minutes were added on and Golding was looking dangerous but his ball to Redwood came to nothing. Golding's corner was headed at goal by Cosgrave to bring a wonderful reaction save from Tangara three minutes into stoppage time.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Crane was booked after the final whistle for remonstrating with the refere. But Bognor were happy to come home with the points and eighth place in the table.

Rocks: Tangara, Kavanagh, Crane, Dinsmore (Mendoza 88), Puemo, Wood, Whyte, T Leigh, Smith, Flint (Shema 84), Lethbridge (A Leigh 70)

Sub not used: Wakley.

Related topics: