Lov-Leigh stuff... Ashton and Tommy lead Bognor to big win

Ashton Leigh's hat-trick helped Bognor to a comfortable 4-0 victory over East Thurrock at Nyewood Lane.
Ashton Leigh is congratulated after one of his three goals against East Thurrock / Picture: Lyn PhillipsAshton Leigh is congratulated after one of his three goals against East Thurrock / Picture: Lyn Phillips
Ashton Leigh is congratulated after one of his three goals against East Thurrock / Picture: Lyn Phillips

Brother Tommy Leigh also netted a penalty in a game Bognor dominated for a win that moved them up to 11th spot in the Isthmian premier.

Bradley Lethbridge got a start ahead of Alfie Stanley who was moved to the bench. Alfie Lis and Jason Parish were both on the bench as they returned from injury.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Harvey Whyte combined with Sam Dowridge on the right flank before winning a corner in the third minute. Lethbridge slid in late on Danny Cossington near the touchline and received a yellow card on five minutes.

For East Thurrock, Jonathan Nzengo hit a low shot wide. Jordy Mongoy played a through ball for Ashton Leigh who ran on beyond the defence and he hit it low and forced a decent right-legged save from Arthur Janata on 11 minutes.

After Sam Dowridge was pulled down, Tommy Leigh's 25-yard free-kick earned a corner. Ashton Leigh's right-sided delivery found Dowridge who ran back inside but his right footed effort rose over the bar.

Tommy Leigh went to ground after heading a ball and required treatment. Jordan Peart was set through inside the area but Amadou Tangara closed him down.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Bognor took the lead on 28 minutes. Dowridge put the ball through to Ashton Leigh, who ran through into the area before composing himself and curling the ball into the top corner of the net.

A deflected long range effort from Joe Cook only just dipped over the bar. Then a short corner saw the ball played into the path of Ashton Leigh and he ran in, cleverly beating his marker, before slotting his shot low into the bottom corner on 34 minutes, extending Bognor's lead.

Tommy Leigh was unmarked when he headed a chance narrowly wide on 36 minutes. But three minutes before the break Mongoy was clearly tripped in the area. Tommy Leigh stepped up to coolly send the keeper the wrong way. HT 3-0

Lethbridge's shot was blocked by a defender before a double substitution from the visitors. Then Ashton Leigh's cross was knocked on by Mongoy and it bounced up and hit a hand. Up stepped Ashton Leigh to tuck the penalty away low into the bottom left corner for his hat-trick on 55 minutes.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Cook went into the book after a foul from behind in the middle of the park on 61 minutes.

East Thurrock had to attack Bognor with time running out but rarely looked like cutting the deficit. Taylor hit one on the volley following Benjamin Jordan's free-kick.

Philip Brown-Bampoe hit another chance off a defender, sending Tangara the wrong way, but it rolled wide of the post on 70 minutes.

Ashton Leigh was injured off the ball and had to be replaced by Stanley on 73 minutes. He received a great reception from the Rocks faithful as he came off.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Making his league debut was Parish as he replaced Lethbridge on 78 minutes for Bognor.

Jake Flannigan played a pass inside for Parish and his twisting and turning resulted in him rolling the ball along the deck but it failed to trouble Janata.

Bademosi missed a sitter from five yards before sub Keaton Wood glanced a header wide. Mongoy, Dowridge and Parish all had opportunities late on.

Rocks: Tangara, Flannigan, Cooney, Whyte (c), Cook, Robb, Dowridge, A Leigh (Stanley 73), Mongoy, T Leigh (Wood 64), Lethbridge (Parish 78). Subs not used: Mendoza, Lis.

Next up, the Rocks head to Cray Wanderers on Wednesday.

Related topics: