Pagham beat Felpham - but it's a close call

This week's youth football round-up includes wins for Pagham Youth, Pagham and Midhurst & Easebourne, plus an exciting draw between Chichester City Youth and Pagham Colts.


Felpham Colts 1 Pagham Youth 2

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

This was the third encounter between these two teams in just over a month.

Although Pagham had won the previous encounters fairly comfortably this was anything but easy as Felpham made Pagham work very hard for the three points.

Pagham did take the lead just before half-time when Curtis Poole headed home from a corner.

This followed brave goalkeeping by Johnny Marsh in the Felpham goal who, in giving away the corner, collided with Michael Charman, meaning both players had to leave the field injured.

Charman twisted his ankle and Marsh had to go to hospital with a dislocated finger.

The second half was similar with Pagham having the majority of possession, and they extended their lead when Benji Allen latched on to a through ball and beat the advancing keeper to make it 2-0.

To their credit Felpham never gave up and got themselves back into it when Pagham’s defence failed to clear.

Felpham nearly got an equaliser near the end but Pagham held on.

PAGHAM: Carter, W Richardson, Poole, Taunton, C Richardson, Chalaye, Barnes, Gosbee, Game, Allen, Charman, Matthews, Strachan.

Chichester City Youth 3 Pagham Colts 3

In the first half, the home side with their direct approach caused concern from set pieces, while Pagham, with their passing and moving, had a couple of half chances.

Just before half-time Pagham took the lead through Billy Stevens, who was first to react to a loose ball from a corner.

The second half was minutes old when the move of the match saw the visitors double their lead. Jordan Charles played an exquisite ball to Johan VanDriel to run on to and cross to Stevens. He found Dan Watson, who smashed it in.

Pagham looked in control and only a great double save from the Chichester keeper prevented a third. Midway through the half Chichester scored a penalty and ten minutes later they equalised.

Pagham’s response was instant as Ryan Barratt’s cross was volleyed in by Stevens. But with minutes remaining Chichester equalised again.

PAGHAM: Tribe, Marland, Shea, Carter, Charles, Parham, Kitchener, Barratt, VanDriel, Watson, Stevens, Haines, Clarke.


Pagham 6 Worthing Youth 1

Pagham started well and straight from kick-off a superb move down the right saw Standen cross for Misselbrook to score from close range.

They went further ahead when Oliver’s knockdown from a corner saw Standen finish in the bottom corner.

On 18 minutes Pagham made it 3-0 with Arnell passing to Ryan Misselbrook, whose cross was finished by Standen.

Worthing pulled a goal back with a 25-yard free-kick.

Pagham continued to dominate and on 55 minutes Arnell passed to Cleall, who finished sweetly.

They continued to press forward, adding further goals from Standen, completing his hat-trick, and Mulcahy.

Pagham man of the match was Misselbrook.

PAGHAM: Hambidge, Ackers, Rodway, Arnell, Mulcahy, Cleall, Smith, Urbanczyk, Standen, Misselbrook, Oliver, Sheehan, Oliver.

Midhurst & Easebourne 6 Whyke 0

Midhurst went ahead through an early goal by Jordan Warren. Whyke, unbeaten before this game, put some good runs together but were unable to level.

Following a perfect cross from Will Murphy, Liam Field-Millard scored a great goal for Midhurst. This was followed by Chris Cain scoring a third for the home team.

Whyke made changes in the second half but were unable to break through Midhurst’s solid defence.

Jake Burtoo scored his first from a good run before Warren and Burtoo each netted a second.

MIDHURST: Greet, Thompson, Wysocki, Largan, Wakeham, Wilson, Murphy, C Cain, Field-Millard, Burtoo, Warren, Mepham, S Cain.