Ringmer AFC get better of AFC Uckfield - but they're hit by Rangers comeback

Ringmer AFC's first team won at AFC Uckfield and drew with Eastbourne Rangers in their latest matches. Meanwhile their thirds put seven past Ansty. Here are their reports...

Friday, 7th May 2021, 10:00 am
Ringmer AFC's firsts gained a win and a draw in the space of three days

AFC Uckfield Town II 0-2 Ringmer AFC

In the first fixture of a bank holiday weekend double header Ringmer came away from a local derby with a clean sheet and 3 points to add to their unblemished record.

A slow first half saw Uckfield initially start the brighter albeit without troubling Joe Whiting in the Ringmer goal. A subdued Ringmer initially struggled to play any meaningful football on a difficult surface, but by half-time had weathered the Uckfield storm and improved to begin troubling the defence of the home side.

The second half saw Callum Connor as the architect of Ringmer’s improved fortunes. First Connor latched on to Ryan Craig’s well weighted through pass to round the Uckfield ‘keeper before using his pace to finish cutely from a tight angle. Ten minutes later the exceptional industry of Connor saw him recover possession near the Uckfield corner flag. Uckfield’s Luke Parsons took inexplicable exception to the forward’s ball retention, the recently introduced substitute fullback seeing red for violent conduct. Moments later the result was secured. Ben Earle’s free-kick met by a deft touch from the imperious MoM Connor Ghosh who glanced home from close range.

Ringmer’s dominance extended through the final half hour, with Whiting’s only contribution to field a deflected clearance from the otherwise excellent Ben Gardner. Despite the introduction of Sowter, Strutt up front, and the marauding midfielder Marcin Ruda, to Uckfield’s credit the score line remained 2-0. MoM – Conor Ghosh.

Ringmer AFC 3-3 Eastbourne Rangers

Monday morning’s fixture saw Ringmer’s dominance rewarded by a 3-0 lead shortly after half-time, but to Rangers’ credit, a late rally saw them comeback to share the points.

With both teams having played less than 48 hours earlier, heavy legs could be excused, however neither side showed any hangover from Saturday’s fixtures in a competitive first half. Marcin Ruda opened the scoring with an unstoppable strike from 30 yards. The dipping effort beating Rangers’ keeper on 20 minutes. Despite Ringmer’s dominance in possession resolute defending prevented Ben Earle, Sam Strutt, and then Callum Connor from getting a clear strike on goal. Connor Ghosh also providing an attacking threat from an unfamiliar full-back role.

On 30 minutes Rangers had a chance to level from a corner. David MacNeil’s organised defending allowed Ringmer to clear to Rob Le Cras who started a brilliant counter attacking goal. Le Cras found Earle on the half turn who released Connor with a measured through ball. Seconds after the defending of a corner, Ringmer had the ball in the back of the Rangers net as Connor finished the flowing move clinically.

Having seen an opportunity to extend the lead escape him a few minutes earlier, captain Brett Johnson finished Callum Connor’s initially saved shot to extend the lead to 3-0. With the game apparently won, Ringmer quickly made five changes including the introduction of youth team prospects Noah Simmons-Botelho and Joshua Dean who looked lively in attack with both creating opportunities for team-mates late in the game.

The final word extends to Eastbourne Rangers who demonstrated resilience with substitute James Unwin scoring twice from close range in the final ten minutes. The loss of Ringmer’s midfield trio of Hunt-Ruda-Le Cras coincided with the home side’s loss of possession of the football. The moment of the match however was saved for Cameron Apted who collected the ball on the edge of the Ringmer area in the 90th minute. An initially speculative shot dipping under the cross bar to level the scores with little time for either side to find a winner.

Despite Eastbourne Rangers' late equaliser, Ringmer secured top spot in the MSFL Premier Division (bottom) competition with Rangers finishing second. In the final fixture of the season Ringmer entertain Rotherfield at home (Saturday 8 May, 1.15ko) and go into the game looking to remain unbeaten and put aside a difficult final 15 minutes in their penultimate fixture. MOM – Glenn Hunt

Ansty Sports and Social 1-7 Ringmer AFC 3s

The 3s made it three wins on the bounce with another goalscoring spree. After taking some time to settle, Ringmer adapted their approach with intelligence to the difficult playing conditions and once they got themselves in front, it was one way traffic. By half time they were 3 up, with Noah Simmons-Botelho bagging 2 and Jack Mansbridge the other.

Ansty were given hope when they converted a penalty early in the second half but Ringmer responded quickly and within minutes had extended the lead to 5-1, with Jonathan Nussey grabbing a deserved goal to cap another excellent individual performance and Louis Pirie finishing from close range. Noah Simmons-Botelho completed his hat trick, a third of the season for the promising youngster.

Joshua Dean completed another fine win for the threes, who were even able to give veteran player/manager Mark Hutchings time on the pitch, although his finishing was questionable. The side continue to develop and now head to their final game of the season on 11 May with a solid 5th place secured in strong division, with chance of claiming 4th if results go their way. Man of the match was full back Charlie Conrath, excellent on his first full 90 minutes since injury.

Other results

Eastbourne Rangers 2s 5-2 Ringmer AFC 2s

Ringmer AFC 4s 0-5 Scaynes Hill 2s