Seaford Town 0, Haywards Heath Town 4: Saunders' men move a step closer to promotion

Haywards Heath Town Manager Shaun Saunders Sep 2015. Pic Steve Robards SR1521789 SUS-151028-070431001Haywards Heath Town Manager Shaun Saunders Sep 2015. Pic Steve Robards SR1521789 SUS-151028-070431001
Haywards Heath Town Manager Shaun Saunders Sep 2015. Pic Steve Robards SR1521789 SUS-151028-070431001
Haywards Heath Town moved one step closer to promotion with a win away at Seaford Town.

Manager Shaun Saunders only made one change from Tuesday night’s win at Little Common. Simon Lehkyj once again started in Goal, a back line of Bailie Rogers, Josh Bryant, Nathan Cooper and Scott Marshall remained unchanged. Carl Dunk and Ryan Warwick held the middle. Completing the midfield was Jamie Weston and Callum Saunders. Up front was Rob O’Toole and alongside him Matt Geard once again. The bench consisted of Danny Turner, Max Miller, Tom Graves, Mike Gardner and Alfie Rogers.

Problems in Newhaven saw the kick off delayed 15 minutes while the home side waited for players to arrive, the game finally kicked off after extended warm up’s and team talks but it was obvious from the first minute that Heath’s on the floor passing game would have to be adapted due to the uneven surface.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Heath started the game well and looked to get at Seaford from the off, with only two minutes on the clock Rob O’Toole worked hard to win possession back deep in the Seaford half, after beating two defenders his low cross was just missed at the far post by Jamie Weston which would have been a tap in.

Heath kept the pressure on but breaking down the home side’s bank of 5 and 4 was making it difficult in the final third. On 10 minutes Ryan Warwick did well out wide and his ball in was well met by Rob O’Toole but fell comfortably for the Seaford keeper.

Heath’s next opportunity came from a Callum Saunders corner it was Rob O’Toole who rose unmarked this time but he couldn’t keep his header under the bar.

Jamie Weston tried from distance on 15 minutes but his strike went narrowly wide of the up right.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Heath finally broke the deadlock on 23 minutes and it was a great goal to open proceedings. Carl Dunk spotted top goal scorer Rob O’Toole in the box, his ball in dropped over the strikers shoulder and his turn and hit first time beat the keeper to open the scoring.

On 29 minutes Heath should have doubled their lead through Matt Geard, Ryan Warwick found the front man but his powerful strike was touched over the bar by the home sides keeper.

The resulting corner from Callum Saunders saw Josh Bryant find space at the far post but he steered his strike wide.

The game started to play out in the middle of the pitch, with both defences keeping the attacking forces at bay.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

As the half neared an end Seaford had their best opportunity to draw the game level, some good inter play saw the ball worked to the left, before the cross in found the Seaford striker at the back post but he fired over the bar.

It was a slow start to the second half with Seaford seeing a half chance come and go and Heath still trying to adapt their game.

Just after the hour mark Heath entered into four minutes that would end the match at Seaford and ensure Heath left will all the points. Nathan Cooper continued his recent good run of scoring as he powered home a header from a Callum Saunders corner.

Seaford were obviously rocked and still recovering from Heath’s second when it became 3, Matt Geard worked well on the right before drilling the ball across the box which went past several Seaford defenders and finding Jamie Weston who fired in from 12 yards out.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

On 66 minutes it was game over, Matt Geard was again provider spotting the run of Callum Saunders who calmly finished into the bottom corner as the keeper advanced and completing the same four scorers as last week’s home game against Crawley Down Gatwick.

Heath now took their foot off the gas, Max Miller, Danny Turner and Alfie Rogers all replaced Jamie Weston, Carl Dunk and Ryan Warwick.

Chances for either side became a premium, Josh Bryant couldn’t keep his header on target from close range and Max Miller fired over the bar towards the end.

Simon Lehkyj was rarely tested as the back line of Scott Marshall, Nathan Cooper, Josh Bryant and Bailie Rogers let very little through.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Man Of The Match – Ryan Warwick– Full of Energy in the middle and did well linking up play on a difficult surface.

Afterwards manager Shaun Saunders said: “We knew it was going to be a difficult day, the pitch was a real leveller that both sides had to try and deal with, the delayed start didn’t help preparations but we always looked in control once we started, I would have liked a second goal before half time but pleased with the goals in the second half, overall I’m delighted with the three points and another clean sheet.”

Next up for Heath is a trip to The Oval home of Eastbourne Utd on Tuesday March 15 in League One action against Langney Wanderers 7:45pm kick off.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!