Thame tamed: Bognor hit five for FA Trophy progress

The Rocks won at Thame to reach the second round of the FA Trophy, with Brad Lethbridge and Amadou Tangara starring against a plucky Thame United side who gave Bognor a great test.
Bognor celebrate on their way to victory at Thame / Picture: Lyn PhillipsBognor celebrate on their way to victory at Thame / Picture: Lyn Phillips
Bognor celebrate on their way to victory at Thame / Picture: Lyn Phillips

New signing Kayne Diedrick-Roberts got a place on the bench for the Rocks but they were otherwise unchanged from their Burgess Hill Town victory in the last game before lockdown.

Early on Thame;s David Lynn let the ball get loose and fouled Sam Dowridge but the free-kick by Ashton Leigh came to nothing. Dan West headed a fine cross from the right just wide on three minutes.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Jordy Mongoy was fouled and earned Bognor a free-kick 35 yards out. Tommy Leigh struck it over the crossbar. Lethbridge crossed for Ashton Leigh but it bounced once and flew out for a goal kick.

Joe Cook made a good run down the middle before feeding Lethbridge. A defender headed it out to Jake Flannigan but he struck his shot wide.

Ashton Leigh's short corner was stolen by Ryan Blake and he ran on before shooting low and off a Bognor defender to win a corner down the other end. Blake's corner was headed towards goal but Amadou Tangara got in the way.

From another free-kick on 21 minutes, Lethbridge curled it fantastically high into the top corner of the net to give Bognor the lead.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Dowridge let fly with a curling strike from the edge of the box that beat goalkeeper Chris Rackley but bounced off the crossbar on 26 minutes. Tommy Leigh went into the book on 30 minutes for a mistimed tackle before Blake smashed the ball high over the bar from 25 yards.

Lynton Goss went to ground in the area but the referee waved away penalty claims.

Tangara had to act as a defender after Goss made a run inside and shot before Blake beat Tangara, but with Ethan Robb tracking back to get to the line the forward knocked it wide.

Tangara pulled off a wonderful diving save to deny Dan West's dipping and curling free-kick on 34 minutes, awarded after Whyte clashed in the air with Tom Ashworth.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Bognor went further ahead in rather bizarre circumstances on 38 minutes. Ashton Leigh's corner into the near post wasn’t dealt with and somehow the goalkeeper failed to clear it as it bounced off the back of a defender and rolled in.

Mongoy forced Rackley into a fingertip save before Lethbridge hit another effort high and wide. Goss forced Tangara into a parried save from just inside the box.

Lethbridge sped through into the heart of the Thame half before finding Mongoy with a forward pass. He ran on, composed himself and slammed it high into the net on 44 minutes. HT 3-0

Bognor conceded a goal on 51 minutes. A swift counter saw Goss run through and he found Blake with his run and he sped through before smashing it low into the net. Greg Hackett had a great chance but Tangara diverted it over the crossbar.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Hackett caught Bognor napping again moments later and sent a shot only just over the bar. Keaton Wood replaced Robb on 57 minutes as things needed to settle down at the back for the Rocks.

West went close for Thame from 22 yards. Then Hackett let fly with a curling left-footed shot.

Hackett hit a cross into the near post and Tangara saved well. Joe Wylie struck one from long distance only just wide - then Kayne Diedrick-Roberts replaced Ashton Leigh on 68 minutes.

West went into the book for a late challenge on Tom Cooney. A Diedrick-Roberts shot was easily saved from the edge of the box. But Bognor conceded again on 73 minutes as Goss found Hackett with a square pass across the edge of the box before he ran on to shoot under Tangara.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Tommy Leigh's corner was floated into the box and was met by Cook's header. The ball bounced out off a defender before Cook rounded the defender and hit a shot low beyond the goalkeeper on 78 minutes.

Jason Parish replaced Dowridge on 80 minutes for Bognor.

Bognor went 5-2 up on 82 minutes. A great ball into space for Lethbridge saw him run on and cut inside before shooting low and into the net with a fine strike.

Another good run from Lethbridge set him off down the left before cutting into the box and shooting low, looking for his hat-trick, but somehow Rackley got a foot to it to steer the ball wide. Whyte went into the book for a sliding challenge in which it looked like he won the ball.

Bognor had chance for No6 but will be happy with the victory. The draw for the next round takes place this afternoon (Wednesday).

Rocks: Tangara, Flannigan, Cooney, Whyte (c), Cook, Robb (Wood 57), Dowridge (Parish 80), A Leigh (Diedrick-Roberts 68), Mongoy, T Leigh, Lethbridge. Subs not used: Davies, Mendoza.