Westies rally for derby victory

Westfield produced a tremendous comeback from 2-0 down to win 3-2 away to Bexhill United yesterday (Saturday).

Mike Booth scored Westfield's first two goals in the come-from-behind victory over Bexhill United
Mike Booth scored Westfield's first two goals in the come-from-behind victory over Bexhill United

The Sussex County Football League Division Two derby got off to a quiet start until Bexhill drew first blood in bizarre fashion after half-hour. Two Westfield players went to ground, but play continued and Martin Denny raced through before lobbing Carl Morris.

Bexhill doubled their advantage 10 minutes later. Westfield defender Steve Thomson tried to shield the ball out for a goal kick, but Will Dunstall picked his pocket and pulled the ball back for Casey Ham to drive into the far bottom corner.

Westfield pulled one back two minutes later as a free kick from the right made it way through to the far post where Mike Booth hooked the ball home. The visitors were the better side in the second period and equalised in the 74th minute when Booth scrambled home a Lawrence Brand corner from close range.

The visitors completed the turnaround with an 89th minute penalty by Gordon Cuddington against his former club after the same player had seen his shot handled on the line by Bexhill debutant Dave Moores, who was sent-off.

The result completed the ‘double’ for seventh-placed Westfield over their neighbours and sent Bexhill, who were unbeaten in the league until the reverse fixture at the start of December, into the bottom half of the table.

Elsewhere yesterday, fourth-placed Little Common fought out a 1-1 draw away to fifth-placed Midhurst & Easebourne in the same division. Matt Collino gave Midhurst a seventh minute lead, but Common grabbed a share of the spoils thanks to Lewis Hole’s 85th minute equaliser.

Common are now just three points behind Eastbourne United AFC, who occupy the third and final promotion place, with a game in hand and a vastly superior goal difference. Eastbourne were hammered 7-0 by leaders Newhaven yesterday.