McCollin's double downs Rocks

Bognor slipped to their third away defeat in five days as a clinical Kingstonian side beat them 2-1.

This article contains affiliate links. We may earn a small commission on items purchased through this article, but that does not affect our editorial judgement.

The Rocks have played five away games in the past fortnight / Picture by Tommy McMillanThe Rocks have played five away games in the past fortnight / Picture by Tommy McMillan
The Rocks have played five away games in the past fortnight / Picture by Tommy McMillan

The Ks were in good form coming into this fixture and Bognor were looking to get back to winning ways after losses at Enfield last Thursday and Dulwich on Saturday.

Alfie Rutherford and Snorre Nilsen both started, while Connor Tighe and Brandon Joseph-Buadi were back on the bench.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Craig Robson was out still with injury, whilst Gary Charman (tight hamstring) was missing after the hectic run of games.

Almost straight from kick-off Ks were on the attack. Andre McCollin cut the ball back but Ryan Newman spun his effort well over the bar.

Mitch Pinnock’s corner was headed out by James Crane and the follow-up cross by Pinnock was headed wide by Sam Page.

Pinnock curled a free-kick into the box from the kick and found Dan Bennett in space. Bennett’s header flew over the crossbar.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

James Crane’s long pass was tracked down by Rutherford, who passed it back to Ollie Pearce, though the ball had gone out.

Alex Parsons was found by Prior down the right and swung in a cross that had to be pushed back out by keeper Rob Tolfrey.

The hosts took the lead on the counter-attack on 14 minutes. Aaron Goode found McCollin with a simple square pass from the right wing and he turned inside before firing low into the bottom corner, just out of the reach of goalkeeper Grant Smith.

Harvey Whyte won the ball from a Ks attack and passed to Parsons. The winger’s cross was too much for Prior and Rutherford.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Soon Rutherford curled a cross in from the left. Prior was in the middle but he failed to time his header.

Bennett was causing problems for Bognor but Chad Field did well to get a last-ditch tackle and Doug Tuck cleared the loose ball.

Tuck found Prior who flicked it on with his heel to Rutherford, who, from outside the box, fired low and wide.

Tuck lost the ball in midfield with a loose pass. Pinnock ran through and shooting from 30 yards but his low shot bounced wide.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Rocks equalised in the 34th minute. Pearce knocked it in from inside the box, with Crane and Snorre Nilsen involved in the build-up as Rutherford went down after what looked a foul.

Rutherford rushed forward but his shot from 25 yards was struck well over on 39 minutes and the resulting corner by Pearce was headed away.

Pinnock’s corner from the left found Joe Turner in the box with a header but he floated his attempt well over the bar.

Whyte won a free-kick just outside the box. Pearce curled it into the box but the Ks defence managed to head it clear.

HT 1-1

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Whyte found Parsons down the right and his pass inside to Prior saw the striker slide over while shooting, meaning an easy save for Tolfrey.

Whyte was winded when he blocked a cross by Pinnock from the left.

Prior won the ball on the break and combined with Nilsen before he threaded in Parsons, whose cross was only just out of reach of Rutherford on 51 minutes.

Rocks replaced Parsons with Brandon Joseph-Buadi on 52 minutes.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Crane’s cross was stopped by Tolfrey as Bognor moved swiftly down the left.

Suddenly the Ks were through the defence again but Bennett’s low shot was diverted off for a corner on 55 minutes.

Rutherford came off for Stuart Green on 60 minutes.

Prior’s attack broke down on 61 minutes, allowing George Wells to steal the ball and run through. After getting inside the box though, his low attempt rolled wide.

Kingstonian went ahead again on 62 minutes. A neat cross by Wells on the left found McCollin and his header bounced in off the post as Smith watched in dismay.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The hosts made a change, with the impressive Pinnock being replaced by Peter Dean on 72 minutes.

Nilsen was replaced by Tighe on 73 minutes.

Pearce’s inswinging free-kick was headed wide. In the follow-up, Joseph-Buadi’s lay-off to Tighe saw the latter blast high and wide.

Turner’s incisive pass went to McCollin, who slid in to poke it goalwards – but Smith saved the attempt on 82 minutes.

McCollin was replaced by Reece Beckles on 83 minutes.

In four minutes of stoppage time, Kingstonian brought on Sean Bonnett-Johnson as they began to wind down the clock.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Whyte received a yellow card after his sliding tackle on Turner was deemed a dangerous one.

But Rocks could not salvage a point after six minutes of stoppage time and will now hope for some return at Burgess Hill on Wednesday.

Bognor remain fourth in the Ryman premier but are now 12 points off top spot - they still look good for a play-off spot, which they would achieve by finishing in the top five.

Bognor: Smith, Whyte, Crane, Tuck, El-Abd, Field, Rutherford (Green 60), Nilsen (Nilsen 73), Prior (c), Pearce, Parsons (Joseph-Buadi 52). Unused subs: Wollers, Beck.

Att: 447


Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking sports news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be among the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make this website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page at

3 Follow us on Twitter @SportSussex

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

Share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Related topics: