SIDLEY'S hopes of claiming second place in the Sussex County League suffered another set-back on Monday night.

But in the end a point was a good result after Whitehawk raced into a two-goal lead by half-time.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Youngster Shae Spreafico was once again the Sidley hero, popping up with an equaliser six minutes from time.

Whitehawk's notoriously sloping and rock hard pitch made conditions difficult with the ball bouncing all over the place. Sidley played down the hill in the opening half, making it difficult to prevent through balls rolling through to the Whitehawk keeper.

The hosts enjoyed a lot of possession without creating many chances despite the prolific Ollie Rowlands looking lively up front. But they converted the two opportunities they did engineer as Jamie Lambert and Josh Christison left Sidley facing an uphill battle.

The Blues had chances of their own though as the hosts looked far from convincing at the back. Peter Baker struck a post and Dave Ward went close from long range to give them hope for the second half.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

And this hope sprung eternal as Sidley fought their way back into the contest with a much-improved display after the break.

Baker pulled one back with his 24th goal of another fruitful season before Spreafico notched his third goal in four games since joining the senior ranks.

They still had to endure some nervous moments though as the hosts had loud appeals for a penalty turned down in the closing stages.

Joint manager Peter Heritage said: "It was a difficult game. We conceded two sloppy goals again and then in the second half it was completely different. We showed a lot of fighting spirit and totally dominated. We got two goals back and could have sneaked it but to be fair to them they should have had a penalty late on. It looked a stone wall penalty to me."

Sidley: D. Poole, Copley, B. Poole, P. Sully, Ralley (C. Morris), Finch, Ward, Spreafico, S. Morris, Rose, Baker. Substitutes not used: G. Sully, Heritage