Three red cards as Raiders beat Chinnor

WORTHING Raiders Rugby Club won for the fifth successive National 2 South match with a 36-14 victory at home to Chinnor this afternoon.

Raiders touched down six tries as they beat Chinnor
Raiders touched down six tries as they beat Chinnor

Raiders touched down six tries in a game which had three red cards - one for Worthing and two for Chinnor - after a punch-up midway through the second half.

Raiders made a quick start and touched down their opening try inside two minutes. Finlay Coxon-Smith broke forward and off-loaded to Ben Loosmore, who made ground before a long pass out wide to Matt McLean, who dived over.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

McLean was unable to add the extras and Chinnor’s Sam Angell was off target with a penalty on six minutes.

The visitors then had a spell of pressure but knocked-on in a promising position and a forward pass denied Jaryd Robinson the opportunity to touch down.

Worthing extended their lead on 27 minutes when they drove forward from a line-out and Liam Perkins touched down but McLean’s conversion attempt drifted wide.

Chinnor got their first points of the game on 34 minutes. Alfie Tooala broke from the back of a scrum to go over and Angell converted.

Worthing touched down their third try just two minutes later as Coxon-Smith brilliantly burst past several players, before sprinting past the last man. McLean’s conversion gave Raiders a 17-7 lead.

Chinnor reduced the deficit in the last action of the half when Jake Olley skipped past several players to touch down and Angell converted to make the half-time score 17-14.

Raiders got the four-try bonus point five minutes into the second half when Loosmore held off a challenge to touch down, although McLean’s conversion went wide.

The visitors held on for ten minutes when Jack Hayes was in the sinbin, before the incident when three players were red-carded on 61 minutes.

After Raiders’ Kieran Leeming was pushed into touch, a coming-together ensued between both sides. After the referee consulted with the touch judge, Worthing’s Perkins and Chinnor’s Hayes and Ian Stock were all shown straight red cards.

Chinnor then had Guido Cambareri yellow-carded five minutes later, which left Worthing with a 14 versus 12 advantage.

Joe Marchant made the most of the two-man advantage when he sprinted from just inside the Chinnor half to touch down, with McLean adding the extras.

Worthing then added a sixth try with five minutes from time when Loosmore burst forward from his own half to go over and McLean again converted.