The name has evolved over time, changing from Wurddingg to Wurthing, Worthinges and then Wyrthyng. The name is thought to combine Worth, meaning valiant and noble, with ingas, meaning 'people of' in Saxon times.
But what about roads within Worthing? There are many historical reasons for the naming of roads and through many of them, we are reminded of some key figures and events associated with the town.
The Chipper family can be traced back to the Worthing area as far as 1086 in the Domesday Book and many of them were shepherds, working on the land in Tarring. Chippers Road, Chippers Close and Chippers Walk honour their memory. Photo: Elaine Hammond
6. Cortis Avenue
Alfred Cortis was Worthing's first mayor. He was elected at the first meeting of Worthing Borough Council on November 10, 1890. Borough status was originally conferred by Queen Victoria and that means it is entitled to have a mayor. Photo: Elaine Hammond
7. Henty Road
The name Henty is familiar in Worthing, as the family has had a long association with the town. There used to be Henty Road and Henty Close but the numbers were in sequence and in 2013 the Henty Close sign was removed. Thomas Henty sailed to Western Australia in 1829 with his family and, with his sons, played a major role in transforming the country. His brother George Henty stayed in Worthing and his sons were largely responsible for the railway coming to what was a sleepy seaside village in the middle of the 19th century. Photo: Elaine Hammond
8. Jefferies Lane
This road in Goring is named after the author Richard Jefferies, a Victorian naturalist who is buried at Broadwater Cemetery. He is best known for his writings about nature and the countryside, inspired by his birthplace in Wiltshire. He died at his home in Goring, now called Jefferies Lane, at the age of 38 from tuberculosis and exhaustion. Photo: Elaine Hammond