Pagham and Peacehaven share the spoils

Pagham had what can only be described as an off-day against their visitors from East Sussex on a blowy, grey afternoon at Nyetimber Lane.
Pagham celebrate taking the lead / Picture by Roger SmithPagham celebrate taking the lead / Picture by Roger Smith
Pagham celebrate taking the lead / Picture by Roger Smith

After the Lions dominated the first half, their visitors, known as The Tye, came at them strongly after the break and could well have taken all three points in the end.

It had started so well for Pagham who took the lead with a good goal on 13 minutes. Jack Barnes made a smart move out wide on the left and fed Joe Bennett who in turn put Jared Rance through. Rance made no mistake from around ten yards and the home side were one-up.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Various half-chances came and went for the Lions, Joe Clarke watched his 25-yarder curl over the bar and Bennett was wide from the same distance.

Pagham attack Peacehaven / Picture by Roger SmithPagham attack Peacehaven / Picture by Roger Smith
Pagham attack Peacehaven / Picture by Roger Smith

There followed a worrying moment for Pagham as keeper Conor Kelly seemed to injure a finger, making a clearance, that required lengthy treatment before he could play on.

At the other end a cheeky chip from Clarke was tipped over by the keeper before Grant Radmore, following a lovely turn on the edge of the box, had his shot saved by the keeper but that was about it.

The second half started with Peacehaven on the front foot and Kelly was soon in action to make a fine low save before the Tye struck after 49 minutes, an excellent 15-yard volley from Max Hollobone pulling his team level.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rance and Radmore forced Mills in the Tye goal into consecutive good saves but most of the action was now at the other end of the pitch.

Pagham on the attack / Picture by Roger SmithPagham on the attack / Picture by Roger Smith
Pagham on the attack / Picture by Roger Smith

The Lions cleared one shot off their line and the ref turned down a seemingly good Peacehaven penalty appeal.

The last real chance of the game and undoubtedly the closest fell to Joe Clarke for Pagham whose shot from a Ben Clark-Eden through ball bounced back off the post straight into the keeper’s arms. So, two points dropped, but it could have been a lot worse.

Pagham boss Kerry Hardwell said: "It was a frustrating performance from the boys - whether the conditions played a part I don't know, we really just didn’t get going and it was a very flat performance from us, which is disappointing after performances against Uckfield and Lancing.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"If we'd have matched either of those performances I believe we’d have won the game. We are now unbeaten in six games and I take great belief that the club and team are moving in the right direction this season.

"Standards have vastly improved across the whole club which is very pleasing moving forward. We will get the boys in twice this week for training and get ready for the FA Vase game at Hadley FC."

Pagham: Conor Kelly, Tom Atkinson, Jack Barnes, Ben Clark-Eden, Jack Williamson, Joe Clarke, Jared Rance, Ollie Hambleton, Grant Radmore (Jake Heryet), George Bingham (Sam Connolly) & Joe Bennett. Subs not used: Ryan Hallett, Jamie Carroll & Ash Hawkes.