Rangers celebrate win double

Eastbourne Rangers' first and second teams won as local football returned after a lockdown-enforced break.

MoM Matty Astle
MoM Matty Astle

Eastbourne Rangers 3 Westfield 0

Mid Sussex premier div

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

Rangers’ first team were back on the sports park 3G for the first time since lockdown was lifted and faced Westfield in their opening mini league fixture.

First half sub Dylan Nanuck put a telling ball into the Westfield box around the half hour, which saw skipper Phil Broom guide the ball to Cam Apted at the back post and he made no mistake with a close-range finish.

After the break, Westfield upped their game but Rangers scored on the break when another substitute, Matty Astle, raced through to finish with aplomb from outside the box and double the Rangers lead.

The Rangers management team made use of the rolling-subs rule to great effect, which saw tired legs regularly rotated, as well as adding impetuous at key moments during the game.

The home side sealed three well-earned points with four minutes left to play.

With Westfield legs tiring as well as them pushing more men forward, the ball was won in midfield by Paul Weatherby. Through one on one, Weatherby unselfishly laid a pass into the path of Liam Parks, who applied the simplest of tap-ins for his first goal of the club.

This was an excellent return by all the players today, but commercial manager Ken Wilkins gave the Rodmill Post Office MoM to Astle, who put in a spectacular display.

Eastbourne Rangers II 1 AFC Varndeanians III 0

Rangers reserves played their second game in three days and made it six points from six in a bruising encounter with AFC Varndeanians III.

Despite not being at their best, Rangers dug deep and were rewarded in the last minute of normal time when a Varndeanians player was judged to have handled in the penalty area.

Kyle Daines coolly converted from the spot and the win saw Rangers mantain top spot in MSFL division two south.