Dramatic chase ends up in house’s garden

POLICE rammed a vehicle into a resident’s front garden to end a dramatic pursuit across Worthing on Monday morning.

Police chase ends in Northcourt Road, Worthing. Picture by Eddie Mitchell SUS-141117-111325001
Police chase ends in Northcourt Road, Worthing. Picture by Eddie Mitchell SUS-141117-111325001

Officers had tried to stop a white Citroen Picasso in Pavilion Road, Worthing, at 9.25am but the driver failed to do so.

A five-minute chase across the town ensued, which ended up in Northcourt Road when the car smashed through a wall.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

One eyewitness, who saw the aftermath in Northcourt Road, said the incident was like ‘something out of a cop drama’.

She said: “I was just hanging out some washing, when all of a sudden loads of police cars came racing down the road with their sirens blaring.

“It was very dramatic – like something out of a cop drama.

Around seven police cars attended the scene and the road was temporarily closed while the incident was dealt with.

The driver was arrested, before being taken to hospital by ambulance for treatment of minor injuries.

The eyewitness added: “I heard the police officers calling out to close the road and they started taking lots of pictures.

“I have no idea what was going on. This is a very ordinary road, usually.”

Inspector Stuart Goodwin said the police were forced to use ‘tactics’ to prevent the chase continuing and putting the public in danger.

Two police cars sustained damage in the chase.

He said: “We used tactics to stop the vehicle which resulted in it leaving the road.

“The driver suffered minor injuries and has been arrested for a number of offences.

“It’s never good when you have damaged vehicles but it needed to be brought to an end.”

The owner of the property was not in at the time.

Following the incident, Terrence White, 24, of Pavilion Road, Worthing, has been charged with failing to stop for police, dangerous driving, driving without a licence and driving without insurance.

He was remanded to appear at Crawley Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.

At the hearing, the case was sent to Chichester Crown Court for trial on Monday, December 15.

He was released on bail until his next court appearance.